Lager Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsmity

Reaction score
I need some quick advice. I'm brewing an octoberfest lager with WLP830 German Larger Yeast. I thought I'd be able to get my fridge temp up to 50 degrees, but now I'm in the middle of brewing and I think the highest I can get it will be ~40-42. Noob mistake of thinking the fridge temp thru.; I just turned the temp knob down to 1 this morning and assumed it would do what I wanted.

I guess my options are to ferment in the low 40's in the fridge or in the mid to high 60's (the avg temp in my basement).

My initial thought is that the firdge is the better option, although it might mean a longer fermentation time.

What about letting fermentation get started in the 60's for a day or so then moving it to the cold?

The best option is to get a temperature controller with a larger range than the one in your refrigerator. They have a temperature probe that is used to control a switch that turns the refrigerator (or freezer) on and off to control the temperature, so you can maintain 50 deg. F. with a refrigerator that normally only goes to 40.

I'm not a fan of starting lager fermentation at a high temperature then chilling it down. I believe it's better to start fermentation lower (like 45 deg. F.) then gradually raise it to regular fermentation temperature, 50-52 deg. F.

-Steve

Thanks. The link you sent didn't bring up the product, but I'm thinking it was a temp regulator. Before I do another larger I will pick one up.

Any advice on this brew? I just coming up to my hot break and need to make a decision on where to put my primary tonight...

For whatever reason the link keeps going to the wrong address but it is the $36 one like I'm sire you've seen by now.

If I were you I would rather pitch a different yeast than do an improperly controlled lager ferment. Too cold and the yeast will go dormant. Too warm and the yeast will really dominate the flavor. Think really fruity at best, downright bubblegummy at the worst.

Thanks for the advice this weekend. By manually turning the fridge on and off, I've been about to keep the temp at around 50; according to my thermometer I've hit a high of 61 and low of 48. Not perfect, but it will do. She seems to be bubbling along at a nice easy pace.

I did order the temp controller dontman suggested, thanks. The digital one looks nice, but the $100 wasn't in the budget. I'm hoping that by the end of the week I can set & forget at 50 and stop running up and down the stairs every few hours to change the controls manually.

Thanks for the advice this weekend. By manually turning the fridge on and off, I've been about to keep the temp at around 50; according to my thermometer I've hit a high of 61 and low of 48. Not perfect, but it will do. She seems to be bubbling along at a nice easy pace.

I did order the temp controller dontman suggested, thanks. The digital one looks nice, but the $100 wasn't in the budget. I'm hoping that by the end of the week I can set & forget at 50 and stop running up and down the stairs every few hours to change the controls manually.

Do you mean a high of 61 and a low of 48 in the refrigerator? Keep in mind during active fermentation the temperature of the actual beer can end up being much higher.

I have a digital probe thermometer that records high, low and current temp sitting in a 12 oz bottle of fermenting beer. I fill the bottle after pitching the yeast on brew day and use it to take gravity readings without opening the primary.

Not perfect, but it's the best I can do till my temp controller arrives.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. You're right, no choice until you get the controller. It'll be a lot easier once you get it. Boring, but a lot easier.

I have a digital probe thermometer that records high, low and current temp sitting in a 12 oz bottle of fermenting beer. I fill the bottle after pitching the yeast on brew day and use it to take gravity readings without opening the primary.

Not perfect, but it's the best I can do till my temp controller arrives.

You can tape the probe directly to the fermenter for a more accurate reading...FYI

Back