Effects of pitching to much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
So i brew a 3 gallon batch instead of the 5 and i, not thinking, just pitched the whole thing in there. So im wondering what is the effects of having to much yeast in the fermenter will do to taste and what not?

You likely didn't overpitch, and therefore don't need to worry about it. What was the OG of the beer? When you say you pitched "the whole thing" what are you talking about? Whole vial/smack pack of liquid yeast, whole packet of dry yeast, whole 1L starter, 2L starter...?

You likely didn't overpitch, and therefore don't need to worry about it. What was the OG of the beer? When you say you pitched "the whole thing" what are you talking about? Whole vial/smack pack of liquid yeast, whole packet of dry yeast, whole 1L starter, 2L starter...?
Dry or liquid yeast?

I use white labs american ale yeast, now my OG i couldnt get a reading cause my hydrometer sample tube was to small and the hydrometer kept touching the sides so im not sure but i think 1.057 tentively of course. Yea the whole vial into a 3 gallon batch.

I use white labs american ale yeast, now my OG i couldnt get a reading cause my hydrometer sample tube was to small and the hydrometer kept touching the sides so im not sure but i think 1.057 tentively of course. Yea the whole vial into a 3 gallon batch.

You actually underpitched slightly by many peoples standards. Using a relatively standard pitching rate of 10.4million cells/ml, you'd need 119 billion cells for 3 gal of 1.057 wort. Even if your vial of yeast was produced yesterday, it would have fewer cells than that.

For future reference, you might try using a pitching rate calculator like the one linked above. Here's the one I use most often-
http://yeastcalc.com/

You actually underpitched slightly by many peoples standards. Using a relatively standard pitching rate of 10.4million cells/ml, you'd need 119 billion cells for 3 gal of 1.057 wort. Even if your vial of yeast was produced yesterday, it would have fewer cells than that.

For future reference, you might try using a pitching rate calculator like the one linked above. Here's the one I use most often-
http://yeastcalc.com/

I agree with Juan (as usual). No way you over pitched with one vial in 3 gallons of 1.057.

About the only real ways for a home brewer to over pitch enough to cause problems are to either pitch a low-medium gravity ale on a whole yeast cake w/o removing any or maybe pitch into 1 gallon of wort the amount of yeast needed for 5 gallons. Under pitching via failure to make starters for liquid yeast is much more common.

about the only real ways for a home brewer to over pitch enough to cause problems are to either pitch a low-medium gravity ale on a whole yeast cake w/o removing any or maybe pitch into 1 gallon of wort the amount of yeast needed for 5 gallons. Under pitching via failure to make starters for liquid yeast is much more common.

+1

Back