Roasted barley bourbon infusion???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierliebhaber

Reaction score
I'm preparing to make a RIS and I was considering making a roasted barley bourbon infusion and adding it to secondary/late primary. Has anyone tried this or heard of anyone trying it. I have done coffee infusions before, but thought I may get a similar effect by just using roasted barley.

Part of this is to just see how it turns out. But I usually max out my mash tun on this RIS and I thought this may be a way to save space. I'm curious about the potential flavor profile.

Procedure: 14g batch
-1 lb of milled roasted barley and 1/5 bourbon combined in mason jar 4-6 days (until attenuation is nearly complete).
-filter infusion through coffee filter
-pour fermented RIS extracted from primary through ground and filter to extract full flavor???
-add contents to primary.

Honestly, the "positive" flavors you get from roasted barley are going to be better extracted in a mash or steep. The alcohol in bourbon is going to pull out way more tannins and astringent character than you want. I would just do this batch with bourbon only, added to taste, and then make your next recipe with more dark-kilned malts if you're not happy with the color/roastiness.

Latest posts

Back