Couple questions and a thanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysonj55

Reaction score
I'm two batches into my homebrewing career and have learned a lot from these boards. Glad I found this great resource. Thanks

I am in the process of collecting enough bottles to have enough 22 oz keeper bottles as well as some 12 oz bottles that I can travel with that I'm not too worried if they make it back.

Question 1: Does anybody have any tricks that make it easier to get labels off of bottles? Some of them are a real pain in the azz.

Question 2: Do you guys have special a "system" for keeping your bottles. I know that I should keep them upside down but what kind of containers do you use, make, etc....?

I'm two batches into my homebrewing career and have learned a lot from these boards. Glad I found this great resource. Thanks

I am in the process of collecting enough bottles to have enough 22 oz keeper bottles as well as some 12 oz bottles that I can travel with that I'm not too worried if they make it back.

Question 1: Does anybody have any tricks that make it easier to get labels off of bottles? Some of them are a real pain in the azz.

Question 2: Do you guys have special a "system" for keeping your bottles. I know that I should keep them upside down but what kind of containers do you use, make, etc....?

Oxyclean soak will take off 95% of labels.

I use Liquor store cardboard boxes with the little dividers, works for me. I don't bother with storing them upside down, just close the boxes.

1. Soak in Oxyclean, PBW or generic Oxyclean to remove labels.

2. Nothing special. Just the case boxes they came in.

+1 on oxyclean to remove labels. Some of them take two soaks though. I throw them all in the bathtub with hot water and oxyclean. Those that don't come off easily after a couple hours get scraped and then put back in. What's left comes off easy after that with a scotch pad.

The best bottle storage idea I've seen is this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-newly-discovered-bottle-storage-unit-90478/

+1 for the oxyclean, my first attempt at removing labels was a pain 'til I discovered oxyclean. Now I just soak them for am hour or two in a sink full of water and a scoop or two of oxyclean. The labels come right off.

As I am only starting out I have a mismatch process of storing bottles, some in milk crates. (they work great) and some in the boxes they came in.

@ Revvy: Haha. No, I'm not bottle conditioning upside down. I'm just talking about empty bottles. I read the bottling tips before my last bottling day and it was really helpful. Thanks again.

I tend to buy a variation of 22oz single beers for "research" purposes when not drinking my own brew and they don't come in a box, but I'm sure that I can come up with some with the dividers.

I try to bottle mostly in 22oz bottles, but if I know that I will be taking the beer somewhere to share, I like to put some in 12oz bottles that I can toss. That way I can just relax and not worry about rinsing them out.

Sounds like Oxyclean for the win. I will pick some up. Thanks guys.

I try to bottle mostly in 22oz bottles, but if I know that I will be taking the beer somewhere to share, I like to put some in 12oz bottles that I can toss. That way I can just relax and not worry about rinsing them out.

Homebrew/bottling homebrew has made me think that a 22 oz bomber/imperial pint is the proper serving size for one person. Screw the 12's, this isn't a competition. Where'd the other 10 oz of my beer go??:D

Latest posts

Back