Taste of must and finished wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

znelson710

Reaction score
So I have started my first batch of wine: basic blueberry. I used about 4 lbs of fruit with enough sugar to start at SG=1.09 and TA acid =.5%.
I pitched the yeast on the 21st and have been monitoring the progress and taking notes. last I checked this afternoon SG was 1.029. It was still fizzing/ foaming and the must had a fruity yeasty smell. I have been keeping track of the bubbling through out the process (although the primary does not have an airlock just a like with a hole and something like a towel over the hole). I am at 6 seconds per bubble. The SG is dropping and the bubbling rate is slowing down.

That said: I got brave enough to taste the must and it was fruity but mostly sour and bitter and a general YUCK taste. Nothing that smelled like sulfur but I read that a sour and bitter taste could mean vinegar formation or an overly acidic wine. I pulled it off the fruit skins/meat after 5 days of fermentation since I read that could be a factor to the sour taste.

Is this cause for alarm? I know a sulfur smell is bad but what about a sour taste? I will rack to secondary soon but was wondering if there is a problem and if there is anything to do to try to mitigate this issue. It's only a gallon batch but I would like it to at least be decently drinkable.

Checked TA acid .7%
is it possible for acid to concentrate during fermentation as the sugar gets converted to ethanol?

Blueberry wine can be weird sometimes. The acidity level can jump and slowly lower back down to where it was. I've heard of high levels of fruit stalling fermentation, possibly due to blueberries containing something akin to sorbic acid.

I usually use 4-5 lbs blueberries per gallon, plus 1 can Welch's concord, and ferment on the pulp for 7-10 days. No acid additions till fermentation stops. Have not had a problem yet.

I wouldn't worry about your batch. At a month it may still taste a little watery, but at six months you'll wonder why you didn't make a bigger batch. :mug:

Are you tasting sour or the yeast? At this point you have a ton of suspended yeast.

Blueberry wine can be weird sometimes. The acidity level can jump and slowly lower back down to where it was. I've heard of high levels of fruit stalling fermentation, possibly due to blueberries containing something akin to sorbic acid.

I usually use 4-5 lbs blueberries per gallon, plus 1 can Welch's concord, and ferment on the pulp for 7-10 days. No acid additions till fermentation stops. Have not had a problem yet.

Thanks. I guess for my next batch I'll hold off on changing the acid until after primary.

And I realize the must isn't generally that great tasting but I was thinking that the taste of the must might somehow correlate to the finished product.

Latest posts

Back