Brewing is spreading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Since I've started brewing about this time last year, a lot of people have been interested. This last week I've had 2 converts, 1 was my roomate and the other a friend. Took my friend to the lhbs got him a starter kit and helped him though his first extract, he's brewed AG with me a few times and wants to do that instead already. My roomate decided mead was for him so we went and got 2 gallons of honey from a local apiary. So we had ~8 gallons of mead going now also.

2 pics: 15 gallons of beer and 8 gallons of mead going.
Beer is an IPA under the box, Belgain wit wrapped in the towel, and a chocolate espresso stout in the bucket.
http://picasaweb.google.com/z987ka/Randoms/photo#5130947509584409682

Mead is a traditional sweet mead with 15lbs of honey OG of 1.144 and the smaller batch is Joe's Ancient Orange 3 gallons with a OG of 1.121

http://picasaweb.google.com/z987ka/Randoms/photo#5130947518174344290

You've got more guts than I do keeping those fermenters right by a window. :D Even covered up I'd be worried about skunking. I keep mine locked away in my storage room.

I really want to make a mead but I just can't make myself spend the kind of money all that honey seems to require.

I've had 4 beers ferment in that spot now, the towel is double wrapped, 2 towels and the box is completely free of light, the pale is clearly ok. Haven't had a skunked beer yet.

I figured someone would mention it to.

And we got the 2 gallons + a quart of honey for $52 or so, no worse than 2 extract batches cost.

I usually get a puzzled look when people ask me what's up for the weekend, and I tell them I am Brewing. "You can do that at home?" is usually the reply. I have yet to convert anyone. I think they are scared when I go through the steps with them. But in then end, I always tell them that if you can boil water, you can brew good beer on your kitchen stove.

Homebrewing attracts a certain type of person. I'm not looking for "converts" but I do find people interested in brewing...

Until they find out how long it takes to get even drinkable beer, let alone "good" beer. Three weeks? Are you KIDDING me? :p

But DRINKING a bottle of home brew now, I've had converts. :)

One thing I have noticed is the activity on this board. I am stunned by how many posts pop up in 24 hours. I'm on other non-beer boards and this one has the highest activity. Having a place to go for beginner as well as advanced knowledge is a big plus.

Kevin Dean said:
Homebrewing attracts a certain type of person. I'm not looking for "converts" but I do find people interested in brewing...

Until they find out how long it takes to get even drinkable beer, let alone "good" beer. Three weeks? Are you KIDDING me? :p

But DRINKING a bottle of home brew now, I've had converts. :)

I've got quite a few friends who Love my Beer. But they figure if I am brewing it and giving it to them for free, then why should they have to Brew? :drunk: It is a good point whenyou think about it...

Back