Help - I think I'm stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I am attempting my first Belgian Tripel. It is primarily extract with candi sugar and some Belgian biscuit. I made a large starter with WLP530 and pitched at an OG of 1.104. I started getting action within a couple hours, and still had some airlock action at 2 weeks. It has shown no bubbling now for 4 days, so I planned on transferring to secondary tonight, but my gravity is only 1.055. What's up? should I still up the yeast, wait a little longer, or go ahead to secondary since I'm not bubbling anymore?

Check the walls of your fermenter. Belgian yeast has a tendency to be thick and carry a lot of the yeast to the walls and beach itself there.

Give the whole fermenter a swirk and knock down the yeast back into the solution.

See what happens cuz I been there, done that,

I swirled the yeast up, and it is doing a very slow but persistent bubble. After 2 days, it has dropped 10 points, and still is doing something. I guess being patient is the answer.

neuron555 said:
I swirled the yeast up, and it is doing a very slow but persistent bubble. After 2 days, it has dropped 10 points, and still is doing something. I guess being patient is the answer.

who cares about airlock activity, what is the gravity down to? its the only way to know.

Here's an update - 4 days more (now a full three weeks) and the gravity has dropped from around 1.060, down to only 1.050. I'll keep watching but it has a long way to go. Any point in pitching more yeast?

Three more days have gone by since I last checked, and my gravity is stopped at 1.050. This was nearly all extract with only 1/2 pound of Belgian biscuit, plus candi sugar, so it should be nearly all fermentable. How much longer do I wait before deciding it is stuck, and if so, what are my options? I could try another vial of the same yeast, but I pitched a 500 cc starter to begin with. The problem is that this should end with a high ABV, though I thought the Trappist yeast was OK with this.

Latest posts

Back