will my ipa be ready in time for homebrew competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
i brewed it yesterday. SG1065. i plan on letting it sit in primary for 3 weeks and bottles for 16 days before the competition. what do you guys think?

same question but for an american wheat. i plan on brewing it 2mor and keeping it in primary for about 16 or so days and having it in bottles for about 20 days. itll be a lower starting gravity.

I think the three weeks can definitely be toned down. For an IPA at 1.065, maybe 10 days in primary and 5 days with dry hop. I am pretty sure guys from the brewing network do 10 day turn around beers.

I think the three weeks can definitely be toned down. For an IPA at 1.065, maybe 10 days in primary and 5 days with dry hop. I am pretty sure guys from the brewing network do 10 day turn around beers.

i was thinking this as well but i always thought it was good to let the beer sit on the yeast for an extra week or so to clean up. on average if i brew a beer like this with WLP001 i am done with fermentation within a week. that would leave me with only about a week for the yeast to clean up. i guess i have never asked this but how long does it typically take the yeast to clean up the off flavors?

You are right in that. I will say I normally do 2wks primary and 1wk secondary (if needed), and most of my beers are pretty freakin clear. However, the yeast will still clean plenty in 10 days, and the extra week in secondary will also provide plenty of time for cleaning.

You are right in that. I will say I normally do 2wks primary and 1wk secondary (if needed), and most of my beers are pretty freakin clear. However, the yeast will still clean plenty in 10 days, and the extra week in secondary will also provide plenty of time for cleaning.

hey man, ill be in birmingham in a few weeks, are there any particular beer stores i need to check out. i think i am going to try and tour good people as well while im there.

So, the best bar in town in J Clyde. I know any taxi in town should be able to take you straight to it. The nights to go are Monday, Tuesday of Thursday.

Otherwise, there is a package store called Highland Package, they sell over 20beers on tap. Meaning you can go pick up a half gallon on some really fantastic beers. They also in general have a pretty good selection.

I don't know if Good People currently has tours available. They just moved into their new locale, so I am unsure if they will have a tour up and running, though if you just walk in, you should be able to find Jason, the brewmaster/owner. He is a pretty neat guy.

Send me a PM when you are in town. The brewgroup and I frequent the J Clyde on a pretty consistent basis. Best of luck brewing!

If my math is correct, you have a total of 37 days before you have to turn your beer in, and usually the competitions will hold the beer for a week or so before judging actually takes place.

I would say 10 days primary, 5 days secondary with dry hop, 3 days cold crash w/gelatin, and then the rest in bottles should be plenty for the carbonation to be at the right level, and your beer should be fairly clear.

beer is being judged on the day of. it is a local comp not JBCP. i think ill still be fine though. i was thinking about it the other day and there are about 30 people entering the comp and 4 judges. the judges ask for 3 bottles. they are going to be pretty wasted when it is all over with. im brewing the wheat in a few hours. i think it should definitely be ready in time.

Back