Refurbishing Cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfriesen

Reaction score
Picked up a couple Cornies on the cheap a few days ago. According to the seller, they were used for soda. When I open them, there is no discernable soda smell, although I can get a distinct metal smell. Also, one had about an inch and a half of standing (water?) in it.

One is missing the gas-in poppit valve and ball lock fitting. I am very new to kegging (as in, I've never done it before) and wanted tp pick some brains as far as what I need to do to get these things serviceable. Will I need to go through and switch out all the o-rings (lid, gas-in, beer-out) and give the insides a good Oxy soak and StarSan rinse? I found a stickied link to a reconditioning process for cornies. Is this the SOP for this kind of thing?

Has anyone found a good alternative to a deep socket for removing the valves? I should just spring for the tool, but if vice-grips or channel locks will work as well, I'd go there first.

Poppets and posts can be found all over the internet at various sites. KegCowboy, KegWorks, KegConnection, etc. Replacing all o-rings is a good idea. Get them from whoever you order the post and poppets from. OxyClean or PBW. Remember to rinse with as hot or hotter water than you soaked/washed with. Gotta get any cleaner residue out. Please, please don't use any sort of pliers on your posts. A wrench or socket will be much easier and better in the long run.

Has anyone found a good alternative to a deep socket for removing the valves? I should just spring for the tool, but if vice-grips or channel locks will work as well, I'd go there first.

7/8" wrench works nice. Use the enclosed end of the wrench for the 12 point fitting (if your keg has those).

Thanks for the replies. I'll go pick up a 7/8 box wrench and get some new o-rings ordered. I noticed on the website I looked at, that his lid was round, whereas mine has more of an oval shape. Am I right in thinking that there won't be any difference in o-rings between the two lid configurations?

Back