robust porter: lacking roasted barely but having roasted grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I don't understand this part of the Robust Porter description for the BJCP guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1b

"... it may be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain character is usually present..."

What is the difference between "roasted barkey" and "roasted grain" flavors, how can it lack one but have the other?

Stouts and porters are essentially the same. The main difference is that a porter usually doesn't have roasted barley in it, which gives stouts a richer, toasty flavor. In the place of roasted barley, black patent (a roasted grain) is used to give it its dark color without the heaviness of a stout.

I really don't think there's much of a difference. M.J.Lewis writes in "Stout", from "Classic Beer Styls Series": "Only roasted malt is used by Guiness for export beer. But for other beers, Guiness uses either roasted malt or roasted barley, and they have not been able to detect a flavor difference between these two roasted products (Robert Letters, personal communication).

Plus there are lots of roasted grains, all malted: Biscuit, Amber, brown, pale chocolate, chocolate, black patent, the Carafa family. "Roasted barley" - by that name - is not malted.

You need to brew with them to get used to their contributions. It's confusing, though, I'd agree. :)

Latest posts

Back