How long till bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxben

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of honey-blackberry mead. It has been in my carboy for about 2.5 months ( I racked it about three times), and I was wondering when I should start bottling it. It has good flavor, boarding on bit too much tanin. Did I let it sit in my Carboys for too long? Should I start bottling it?

Thanks,
Ben

You can bottle but I usually wait for a year or more before I bottle. BTW, stop racking that stuff, it can sit for a year easy without racking. :)

As long as it's throwing lees (and it must be if you're racking so often), then it's not ready to bottle. I rack only when the lees are 1/4" thick and after 45-60 days. After the first or second racking, you might not have to rack again unless it's still dropping a ton of lees.

You can bottle when it's completely clear, and hasn't thrown lees for at least 4-6 months.

Back