Confusion about steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I dont understand why many recipes call for steeping grains to be steeped in such small volumes of water. For extract brewing, the recipes often call for steeping in a small amount of the total boil volume. Why not steep in your total boil volume (after accounting for rinse water). Is there some valid reason that you should steep your grains in the smallest volume fo water posible?

With that said, I've been steeping in as large a volume as possible, regardless of instructions and have had no issues with flavor or anything of the sort.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

N_G

Those instructions are not always exactly correct. They say to steep in a small amount of water, usually 1-1.5 gallons, but that doesn't mean you can't steep in a full 5 gallons of water. Usually, starting out, people only have a 2.5-3.0 gallon pot to do their batches in. That's why they'll also tell you to top off with 2-3 gallons of water after done boiling. If you can do the full amount of water, steep your grains in the full amount.

I'm doing full boils and up until my last batch had been steeping grains in the full 5 gallons. After talking to a friend I am now filling my brewpot w/ my full boil volume, usually 5 1/2 gallons, then scooping about a gallon out into a separate pot. I heat them separately and the small pot hits 160º pretty quickly. I put my grains in to steep in that while letting my brewpot continue to heat up. In the thirty minutes or so that the steeping takes the other 4 gallons in my brewpot has easily come to a boil. This knocks around 30 minutes off my time and I haven't seen a difference in quality. Seems to work either way so I think its up to you.

The reason you're instructed to steep in less than the boil volume is two-fold.

First, it has to do with ph. Water has a higher pH than grain, so when you add the correct amount of water (over 7.0 ph) to grain (much lower, and acidic), you get the pH in the correct area as to avoid extracting tannins from the grain husks in a higher pH steep.

Secondly, if any of the grains have diastatic power, you will get conversion if you steep at the right water/grain ratio.

If you're just using crystal malt, no harm will come from a bigger volume steep aside from possibly tannin extraction. But if you're using other specialty malts, it's beneficial to "steep" as if doing a mash and keep the pH in the proper area.

First, it has to do with ph. Water has a higher pH than grain, so when you add the correct amount of water (over 7.0 ph) to grain (much lower, and acidic), you get the pH in the correct area as to avoid extracting tannins from the grain husks in a higher pH steep.

Secondly, if any of the grains have diastatic power, you will get conversion if you steep at the right water/grain ratio.

If you're just using crystal malt, no harm will come from a bigger volume steep aside from possibly tannin extraction. But if you're using other specialty malts, it's beneficial to "steep" as if doing a mash and keep the pH in the proper area.

Excellent explanation, first time I've heard it actually stated in a manner that was very easy to understand.

I used to think it was just about tannin extraction, which I really don't think is a huge issue, but if you are using any diastatic malts (such as the victory I just used in my APA) that makes complete sense.

I think I steeped with a little more water than necessary, 8.5qts/2lbs @ 155 for 40min and sparged @ 170 with 1 gallon by placing my grain bag in the sparge water for a couple of minutes, and then allowing it to drain in a collander over the pot and finally adding that to my boil for a total volume of about 3.5 gallons.

My gravity was higher than expected, I am assuming it was due to the victory malt, I may have had some conversion. My estimated OG was 1.054, but I ended up with 1.057.

Thanks again Yooper, great simple explanation!:rockin:

Thanks for the explanation Yooper.

Given this, can I then just steep my grains in the smaller water volume for the recommended amount of time then add this wort to a larger kettle with 3-4 gallons of water that is nearing or already reached boiling temperature?

thanks
axr

Thanks Yoop. Thats a reason I can get behind. Next time I'm steeping a 'mixed bag of grain' from a kit, I'll keep that grain to water ratio in mind.

Cheers,

Thanks for the explanation Yooper.

Given this, can I then just steep my grains in the smaller water volume for the recommended amount of time then add this wort to a larger kettle with 3-4 gallons of water that is nearing or already reached boiling temperature?

thanks
axr

Sure. That's fine, and a great way to get to a boil faster than trying to add water to the volume in the first kettle. Keep in mind that your grains will absorb some water from the steep- maybe .1 gallon per pound. So if you use more than 2 pounds of grain, you might need to adjust the amount of water. Or, you can sparge (rinse the grains with 170 degree water) over the top of the pot to get up to your boil volume. What I mean is this- you lift the grain bag out and add the "tea" to the boiling water. If you're a bit short on the volume,you can hold the bag of grains in a strainer and pour 160-170 degree water over the grains to rinse them and get every bit of goodness out of them.

When it comes to science, I yield to the Yoop. When it comes to experience, I can add this: Since I started steeping in less water, my beer tastes better.

Back