Full Boil to Partial Boil Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larsen67

Reaction score
I've been looking at some recipies to try (mostly extracts with steeping grains). Most of them call for steeping in the full 5 gallons, and then boiling and adding extracts. I don't think my brewpot can handle a full 5 gallons (I have always done partial boils then added to cooled water in the primary).

Are there any changes/issues I need to make/be aware of when steeping in 3 gallons (instead of the whole 5) and using this for the boil?

PS - I'm not sure if my recipie is a true extract+ or a mini-mash as it calls for steeping 2 lb flaked wheat at 155 degrees for 60 minutes (does this add any sugar or is it just for body/color/feel?).

I've never heard of anyone steeping in more then 2 gallons and I think THAT is too much.

It's not a mini mash so it has to be Extract with Specialty grains.

You would only get flavor and no extra sugar.

I would go with what you are doing now and disregard the 5 gallon steeping instructions - that sounds more like a "default, let's make it easy" thing.

I've never heard of anyone steeping in more then 2 gallons and I think THAT is too much.

It's not a mini mash so it has to be Extract with Specialty grains.

You would only get flavor and no extra sugar.

I would go with what you are doing now and disregard the 5 gallon steeping instructions - that sounds more like a "default, let's make it easy" thing.

correct about the too much water but wrong that steeping doesnt add sugar....only certain grains can be steeped and the majority of grains have to be mashed...however both processes are to remove sugar enzymes

Back