What is my Water Profile Telling me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I finally found my local water profile. Turns out we get ours from a different well in summer and winter, who knew. Now that I've found it, how do I use it?
Here's a little sampling:
Alkalinity 291 ppm
Calcium 70 ppm
Chloride 36 ppm
Hardness Total 340 ppm
pH 7.5

What does this say about my local drinking water and its potential use in home brewing? Thanks!

You should have a more complete list to make proper adjustments if needed. It's on the "hard" side; definitely not Prague water.

Don't worry about pH at this point. Grain should take care of it. Your pH is pretty acidic (low) for public water.

(...yes 7.5 is not acidic...I know)

Your water looks like mine (northern Illinois) come from all of the limestone.

From what I have read, high pH and the associated alkalinity will contribute to the extraction of tannins and give your beer an astringent taste (like sucking on a tea bag) - steeping at too high of a temperature will do the same thing. Anyway, the last 6, or so batches, I have been adjusting the steeping and sparge water pH by adding lactic acid to the water. About 1 ml to 2 liters of water brings the pH down to around 6.

I do extract brewing, and It has definitely helped and eliminated the astringent taste that my beers have had, especially on light bodied brews. I use straight well water for the remaining water.

It's all relative. My $.02 is that if you are brewing great beer then it doesn't matter in the least! :D I think where your can really see a difference is in places where the water will make everything stained chalky (i.e. extremes). Most municipal water sources (aside from those treated with Chloramines) should be reasonably good for brewing. That all being said, I have read of breweries that churn out fantastic products from water that is classified as being 'wrong' for the style. Westmalle comes to mind.

Back