Help me understand my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
So I brewed the hop scare IPA kit from Midwest 9 days ago. My OG was 1.064. My blow off bubbled like mad for the first seven days, and has slowed significantly over the past 2 days. I took a sample to check gravity today and it's at 1.022. It also has a very fruity smell that I usually only recall smelling in a Belgian. It's only my second brew and I'm wondering if this is characteristic of the Wyeast 1272 that I used or is something else giving me the fruitiness? Oh, and my fermentation temperature was between 68-70. For being incomplete it tastes ok, but the smell has really confused me. Thanks for your thoughts.

Relax, the beer is very young, you will have to give it some time. That said, your fermentation temperature may have been on the high side, the internal temperature of a fermentation can be as high as 5 to 10 degrees higher than the ambient temperature. Don't sweat it the beer will turn out fine you just may have to give it some time. Oh did I say Relax. ;)

I'm basing my fermentation temp on the fact that my swamp cooler water temp was around 65 degrees. I figured it would age well, especially since I had a relatively high OG. I must admit that it didn't seem near as bitter as I thought it would be either.

Your beer will change so much by the time you drink it. Fermentation gives off all kinds of crazy smells that for the most part, wont be in the final product. Enjoy and take good notes and the next time you use that yeast it wont be a big deal.:)

Back