No secondary Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
Anyone make cider without using a secondary?

Does it cause problems?

If so, should I wait till fermentation slows down but is still going. Then put cider minus the bottom crud into my bottling bocket and clean out the primary. Than place it back in the primary?
'thanks

ironic.. I was just wondering the same thing.

if leaving it on the yeast cake leads to butter/butterscotch flavors as it does in beer (diacetyl), I think that might actually be good in a cider.

-walker

My ciders always ferment down to 0.997 or so in five or six days, so I've never bothered with secondary fermentation. They can take a long time to settle out though. I say if you don't have a secondary fermenter available to just leave it until the FG stops changing. There may be a little sugar left, but my biggest problem has been trying to stop the ferment at the right time to leave a little sweetness. Seems the choices are campen tables to kill the yeast, which means adding sugar to taste and forced carbonation or drinking bone dry cider.

Back