Keggle BIAB Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
Thanks to my wife and mother in law I have my first BIAB bag. I used the recommendations of BIABrewer.info but adjusted the height a little to have some more overhang.

Top = kettle top circumference (3.14 x diameter x 0.5) x 1.15
Height = kettle height x 1.50 + 1inch for drawstring or elastic.
Base = kettle base diameter x 0.85

After sewing using a roll stitch for the hem and interlocking stitch for strength I ended up with the follow dimensions

Top = 27.5 inches
Height = 30.5 inches
Base = 13 inches

Nice, that looks good and solid! What I would do for stitching skills, why didn't I pay attention in grade 8 home-ec class?!

I'm using just a straight single panel voile sheer curtain, no stitching at all, and gathering in the ends when I pull the bag. Works, but it'd be WAY nicer to have less material dangling everywhere!

Yeah, I could not have done it on my own thankfully my mother in law has a lot of practice and was able to make it happen. I contacted a seamstress and they wanted to charge me $20 + materials to make it. I paid $10.82 for the Voile and upholstery thread and got enough to make 2 bags!

I have been doing the BIAB thing as well and have found that sewing in a tab at the top that you can run rope/cord-I use 550 paracord- thru serves 2 purposes-1. to tighten around the vessel during the mash and boil to keep secure, and 2. I attach the cord-by caribiner- to a pulley above to lift, secure and allow to drain without having to hold up myself. No need for the whole bag into a collander/bucket step, just let it hang while bringing the temp up to boil.
Bag looks nice-much cleaner looking seams than the ones I did myself;^)

Very nice! I'm hoping to upgrade by BIAB kettle from the small turkey fryer pot to a keggle soon. Thanks for posting measurements!

I have been doing the BIAB thing as well and have found that sewing in a tab at the top that you can run rope/cord-I use 550 paracord- thru serves 2 purposes-1. to tighten around the vessel during the mash and boil to keep secure, and 2. I attach the cord-by caribiner- to a pulley above to lift, secure and allow to drain without having to hold up myself. No need for the whole bag into a collander/bucket step, just let it hang while bringing the temp up to boil.
Bag looks nice-much cleaner looking seams than the ones I did myself;^)

I have a seam at the top that is rolled over and about a half inch wide to put some cord through for that very puporse I just need to go buy the martial to slide through.

frailn said:
Very nice! I'm hoping to upgrade by BIAB kettle from the small turkey fryer pot to a keggle soon. Thanks for posting measurements!

You are very welcome, I always find it really frusterating to not find information like that easily so whenever I am able to pass on a little knowledge I have gained I do it.

This is a great idea -- I can't believe I've never read about BIAB before... It will used for my next brew.

Voile is for curtains, right? Did you get cotton or nylon? Cotton would stretch a little, but synthetic materials would be stronger... and I guess also might rip more easily... I'm guessing at your price it was nylon.

If you are at all worried about the strength of your seam (when you don't have a turkey fryer but just the bag), you could add a strip of cotton fabric as a "backer" strip, sewn on one or both sides. Not disrepectin anybody's wife or mother in law, I just wouldn't want a mid-brew accident if you have 25 lbs of grain heavily soaked with water.

Synthetic bag all the way, definitely strong enough to hold 20+lbs of grain and be twisted and cinched down tight to squeeze water out. And less risk of fibers rotting after a while.

My bag is made with polyester voile and polyester thread I don't for see the bag getting ripped at all and actually perfer the fact that is doesn't stretch much at all. I want to bag to keep it's shape so that it can be more easily removed from the keggle

Polyester voile as well...I round the bottom corners...
nylon cord draw string.

IMG00199-20110719-17081.jpg

NICE! I'm about to make one myself and I'm curious, what do you put in the bottom of your keggle to keep the bag from contacting the bottom?

I didn't put anything at the bottom of the pot I just tied it up a little while mashing out to keep it from scorching. I wrapped the keg in a sleeping bag and it kept my mash temp for 75 minutes.

Does anyone still have the pics from this original post? It appears imageshack no longer has them....
Thank

Brandon

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416262322.423814.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1416262425.687703.jpg

Keggle bags are typically 26.5" wide at the top, and 31" long.

The smaller the hole in the top of the keggle, the more taper may be beneficial.

A fuller bag will better fill the interior of the keg.

Cheers!

Holy thread necro ... Over three years!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back