March Pump Tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
Thinking I was being clever I mounted my new March Pump on the underside of a bracket. Plumbed it in, turned the switch and no water. What the deuce!
No problem I think just air bubbles. So I open some valves to give her a burp and slowly I start making water out the other end. All's good, I call the wife and kids to show them what their leader has created.
Along comes the big test, brew day. The new 100k BTU burner is roaring the gauges are sweeping upward towards 212F, cold beer in hand (dah!), hit the switch to release the hounds.......not freakin water!!!! No problem I thinks just flip some valve a burp it. Hmmm, not working????
So I thinks to myself, self, what a dumb shhit you are, your pump is cavitating. What did you do wrong? So I go to bed and toss and turn all night thinking about why my new "simplified process took me 6 hours to make beer".
Restless sleep is a wonderful physiological mechanism. Morning comes and the answer is clear. The pump is upside down, therefore the pump cavity is above the inlet and out. Even though the water level in the HLT is higher, there is still an isolated high spot for an air bubble to live. So out comes the butane torch and another trip down to Home Depot for more 5/8 copper tubing.
The moral is mount the pump feet down and use unions so you can remove it when it finally gives up the ghost.

You can rotate the head on a march pump... You can mount the head at any 90 degree position. Hopefully remounting the pump wasn't too painful.

Well thanks for that! Where were you last night when I couldn't sleep? Wait, that may have come out wrong.....
Thats good info to know since this is my first "brew center". As many will probably agree there will be lots of opportunity for future changes. Actually wasn't that painful and I prefer my new valve and plumbing arrangement. :mug:

Back