Transporting Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micfiygd

Reaction score
I am driving my full corny keg about 4 hours this weekend and I want to make sure I'm not going to run into any problems. I was planning on taking the regulator off and just putting it in my trunk. I will let it sit a few hours before serving to let any sediment settle.

Will I run into any problems doing this? Should I try and secure the keg more tightly in the back seat?

Thanks

If the beer has clarified in the keg, and there is sediment in the keg, I would transfer it to a new keg, making sure to leave the sediment behind. If you don't, your beer may look like mud when you serve it. This has happened to me a number of times.

If the keg is vigorously shaken in the trunk, it'll knock a lot of the CO2 out of solution (think about shaking a can of coke). You'll need to let it sit for >24 hours to let the CO2 reabsorb into the beer, or it'll be undercarbed.

I always strap mine in to a backseat, seatbelt and all. Seems to do the trick, and I only have to let it sit for an hour or two to settle back down.

If the beer has clarified in the keg, and there is sediment in the keg, I would transfer it to a new keg, making sure to leave the sediment behind. If you don't, your beer may look like mud when you serve it. This has happened to me a number of times.

+1. Every beer I've ever kegged ends up with sediment at the bottom; it's just a fact of life. So a car ride will shake that up and you'll have cloudy beer unless you let it sit again for a few days. So rack it into a new keg before transporting.

If you've got time to get the right connections you can try to transfer into the new keg by pushing it out of one beer line into the other. No exposure to O2 and no mucking with siphons (auto or otherwise).

Back