Which American Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I have (2) WLP 001 California Ale (Wyeast American Ale?), (1) 1272 American Ale II, and (1) WLP 320 American Hefe. I want to be able to brew once a week, and need another American ale yeast for my fridge.
I am making IPA's (my fav), pale's, blonde's, American (chocolate) brown, and amber.
I like a Moose Drool's version of a brown ale as well, and am considering what I can do with that, as well as some sort of a mild (not overly roast) porter.
What yeast do you like and why?
I love the 1272 because it comes out so clean and I don't mind drinking the yeast, unlike many others I have tried.

I'm personally a big fan of WLP090 (SD Super) in place of standard Am Ale yeasts (WLP001/WY10556/US-05) as it ferments just as clean at warmer temps, attenuates better, flocs harder, and ferments faster. It's great for hoppy beers you'd like to turn around quickly. It's my house strain.

Looks promising! I may just have to try it even if I find something else interesting.
Thanks!

I'd suggest trying an English strain and ferment cool. My favorite is WLP007 Dry English Ale. It won't be as clean as 001 but it attenuates pretty well and if you ferment cool (low to mid 60's) the esters are minor. It also flocculates very well. I understand that Stone and several other American breweries use this yeast. I've also been told that Moose Drool is made with WLP002 English Ale.

maida7 said:
I'd suggest trying an English strain and ferment cool. My favorite is WLP007 Dry English Ale. It won't be as clean as 001 but it attenuates pretty well and if you ferment cool (low to mid 60's) the esters are minor. It also flocculates very well. I understand that Stone and several other American breweries use this yeast. I've also been told that Moose Drool is made with WLP002 English Ale.

I love WLP002 it's my new favorite.

I will certainly be getting an English yeast as well once I figure out how to make an ESB. But I've also considered staying true to Northern British brown ale, except adding a little more alcohol (my beers generally start at 5.2%).

maida & mux: Have you tried Bedford yeast? I've considered that as my British yeast.

Latest posts

Back