Is drinking non craft beer so bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverme

Reaction score
I love drinking a good beer that is just no your typical "lite" beer. But on hot days if I'm outside or if I will be drinking more than 3-4-8 I prefer drinking the commercial beer from pbr to high life. Is that so bad??

No. Every beer has its place in my opinion.

I personally hate the term "craft beer" as if some vegetal, estery microbrew made by some hipsters that don't know what they're doing is somehow "better" than the macro produced light lagers that are flawless in their production.

The only beer worth drinking is beer you make at home, on your stove, under the range hood where greasy cat hair can fall into it and is then fermented in an old tool bucket in a dank, warm closet before being siphoned into used Jolt bottles using a discolored piece of fish tank hose and carbonated with half as much table sugar as was in the wort to begin with.

Who cares what people think...drink what you want to drink. I wouldn't have all of these Carlo Rossi 1-gallon carboys if I cared what people thought. (I let my wife drink it...but still...it's in my cart when I go to Total Wine)

I still enjoy Micheladas (Bloody Beers with Clamato). A sin?? Maybe, but I find them tasty on some days. (And I am not going to put a top quality beer in one of those)

Zuljin said:
The only beer worth drinking is beer you make at home, on your stove, under the range hood where greasy cat hair can fall into it and is then fermented in an old tool bucket in a dank, warm closet before being siphoned into used Jolt bottles using a discolored piece of fish tank hose and carbonated with half as much table sugar as was in the wort to begin with.

Well said.

Drink what you like when you want. If we let other peoples opinion dictate what we did we would all be drinking BMC type beers because I believe that style controls about 80% of sales.

Drink what you choose.

99% of the time I drink true craft beer. But when I'm having a drunk bash or tailgate I drink some good beers first then I switch to Yeungling Premium.

Every beer has its place. When we go kayaking we usually take a couple cases of miller. It's a lot less of a big deal when your beer spills, or gets delicious river water in it this way.

I don't have a problem with the commercial beers themselves. Heck I like to pound down a bunch of High Life's while camping with the boys. My problem is with the larger commercial breweries business practices. Their ruthless control of distributors and store shelves. The way they will stop at nothing to crush the craft breweries, even though they control 85% of the market. So for that reason is why I limit my purchases of the big guys. But still drink what you like.

The other night, out with my family, I had a Moosehead that had been kept in the dark (it wasn't skunky). I could recognize the corn in the brew, but it didn't dominate. The hopping was balanced by the corn sweetness.

Macro? Yup. Light on flavour? You bet. The best beer I'll ever drink? Hell no.

Did I enjoy it, and grudgingly admit I'd like to be able to make that exact beer, with the same kind of consistency as the Olands? Yup.

Labbatt Blue is not a good beer. For me, it is a nostalgic beer. When I drink one, I'm drinking memories, not macro.

I have no love of the big macro corporations. But any beer can be the right beer, at the right time, in the right place, for the right reasons.

morticus said:
I don't have a problem with the commercial beers themselves. Heck I like to pound down a bunch of High Life's while camping with the boys. My problem is with the larger commercial breweries business practices. Their ruthless control of distributors and store shelves. The way they will stop at nothing to crush the craft breweries, even though they control 85% of the market. So for that reason is why I limit my purchases of the big guys. But still drink what you like.

I agree. When I go commercial, i tend to stay with sam adams, sierra or pbr.

And the term commercial is misleading. They are all in the business of selling beer to make money....it just gets uglier when they have shareholders/stock analysts and boards to keep happy.

I agree with you guys about drinking what you like when you like it 100%. but to say the practices of the big companies is uncool as compared to the smaller craft breweries doesn't really make sense. Sam Adams Sierra Nevada started out in garages so did anheiser Busch I guess at some point. BMC didn't buy a million gallon fermenter the first time they made beer.

To hear Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams be classified as commercial breweries is accurate because they have grown steadily larger over the last 30-40 years. Who knows if well have an acronym for their evilness when they've been around as long as BMC have. My whole point is there isn't a brewery out there from rogue to Russian river or 3 Floyd's who wouldn't want to control 85% of the market. The reason they started selling their beer instead of just brewing and sharing with friends and fam is to do what BMC do. Make money. We love their product so we give them business it's natural for companies that make a good product to grow. But to stop buying or liking a brand once they get too big doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway to kind of get back on topic. I am the kind of beer drinker who will pass on a beer I thoroughly enjoy to try and give a new beer a chance. I guess I'd rather have the knowledge and experience of drinking an unknown and new beer and finding out I hate it than drink a tall pint of my favorite beer.

I mean honestly I don't drink BMC ever. I drink Yuengling for my non-craft (snice they're adjunct and the largest of all the non-BMCs in America IIRC) because they're still family owned, and old and crap.

No. Every beer has its place in my opinion.

I personally hate the term "craft beer" as if some vegetal, estery microbrew made by some hipsters that don't know what they're doing is somehow "better" than the macro produced light lagers that are flawless in their production.

You said how I feel better than I could. There's a place in Ann Arbor that uses the term "Artisan Ales". Are they good? Yes. Does it make me cringe because it sounds pretentious? You bet.

Personally I'll drink some "corporate beer" now and again, but usually it's on the rare occasion I'm binging on beer though sometimes the taste of a Coors or PBR is exactly what I'm in the mood for.

I'm with you 100%. But I tend to look at their ruthlessness as good business stragey. If I owned a business I would love to have control of 85% of the market.

Unless somebody else is paying for what I drink, they all can kiss my BMC drinking a**. I love craft beers, homebrews, hell I just love beer. If it is going to be a " career " drinking day I prefer the lighter BMC style beers. If you would be so kind to send cash or money orders I would be glad to drink what YOU want me to. Just my 2¢.

Back