Probe in water..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Ok, so I put my temp probe in water to get a better reading on the liquid temp of my fermentation fridge..

the air temp is fluctuating crazy, from 22f when i first put it in there.. to 62f now.. I have the temp controller set at 72. I am guessing that it should be fine because when the water hits 72 it will kick on, but geeze that just seems crazy.

what you are talking about sounds like a thermowell. I use a piece of copper pipe that plumbers call a stub. Basically a short 1/2" pipe that was spun closed on one end. I cut a 1/2x1/4 reducer(same fitting used to make a CFC) lengthwise so i could slip it over the thermo wire. placed the thermo probe into the stub, filled it with antifreeze and slid the reducer in place and sealed it with silicone. now I can lay it on its side without worrying about spilling the glycol. in addition I mounted a 12 volt muffin fan(PC fan)inside the freezer to circulate the air. the combination allows for more accurate temp control without the freezer cycling so much.

Back