Another noob fermenting 5g wort ina 5g carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewToHeugh

Reaction score
So I picked up a brewing kit that came with 2 buckets and a 5 gallon carboy but since longer primary fermenting is the thing around here I decided to test it. Like a noob I didnt realize I needed a 6.5g carboy since Im fermenting 5g. My carboy is overflowing with kruesen... so, following the advice of most threads on here, I bought a 1" tube and hooked that **** up to my airlock and dropped the other end of the tube in a bucket of sanitized water. everything looks good to me so my question for you guys is;

Should I cover the bucket(with sanitized water)? Infection?

When fermenting is complete (its IPA btw and its fermenting like an animal), should I replace my blow off with a regular air lock and let it sit until its been a month or or is it fine to leave it like that?

Anything I can do about the kreusen?

thanks dudes

your truly,

the noob

I always use a blow-off. 5 gal carboy with 5 gal batches and I haven't had any infection problems with unsanitized water. I use sanitized sometimes when it is convenient, but other than that I use tap. I also just leave the tube in the entire 3 weeks and just change my bucket water once after all the aggressive fermentation is finished. My brews ferment like crazy because I always use a starter, so I don't think a 6.5 gal carboy would suffice so I'd still use a blow-off tube to be safe.

Just leave the kreusen, it'll stick to the insides of the carboy but it isn't a big deal.

As for the blow off bucket. No need to cover, at least none of my last 5 brews have I covered. All have been infection free *knocks on wood*.

Usually after 5 days of being in the fermenter I'll switch back to my 3-piece airlock, unless I'm adding additional fermentables that'll start up another crazy bubbling moment. You're the best judge for this, if the kreusen has dropped to a nice level and bubbling isnt vigorous then switch back to an airlock to get some floor space back.

Why didn't you use the fermenting bucket instead of your carboy? that is why it came with your kit. one of your 2 buckets should have a hole in it for the spigot, that one is your bottling bucket.

Why didn't you use the fermenting bucket instead of your carboy? that is why it came with your kit. one of your 2 buckets should have a hole in it for the spigot, that one is your bottling bucket.

Some people like to watch the magic happen.

I wanted a carboy but my local brew shop guy talked me out of it. Im gonna get one though I like to watch. Looking at a white bucket several times a day is kinda strange...lol:eek:

I wanted a carboy but my local brew shop guy talked me out of it. Im gonna get one though I like to watch. Looking at a white bucket several times a day is kinda strange...lol:eek:

yeah same here. Just make sure you buy the cleaning tools with it. Even though its pretty cool to see the action I know its going to be a b!tch cleaning.

yeah same here. Just make sure you buy the cleaning tools with it. Even though its pretty cool to see the action I know its going to be a b!tch cleaning.

I've never found it a pain to clean. I have a 6.5 and a 5 gal carboy. All I do is swirl the yeast cake with the remaining beer and empty, then with my bottle cleaning bucket I empty the iodine mix into the carboy swish it around for 30 seconds, and then spend maybe a minute scrubbing, empty, and dump some more iodine solution in and swish and empty. If its clear then its ready to store. Then just another quick cleaning before use again.

Latest posts

Back