You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it may be time for a work kegerator and have them buy you a pair of cornies. And bigger pots so you can make more beer for both of you.

So I only do 2.5 Gallon batches at the moment, and I do have people pitching money into the "brewing fund" jar my boss made me setup. He says he will get people addicted to my beer then charge $1 a bottle lol.

So I only do 2.5 Gallon batches at the moment, and I do have people pitching money into the "brewing fund" jar my boss made me setup. He says he will get people addicted to my beer then charge $1 a bottle lol.

so HE's charging money for YOUR beer? does he wear a floor length leopard coat and drive a pink caddie? :mug:

When you find other uses for your chemicals. I find my 80% lactic acid to be extremely good at removing limestone from things like my water boiler. And Oxiclean (soda cleaner here) just is beastly for everything. How did I ever live without that stuff?

When a waitress asks you "would you like a frosted mug" you assume the alternative is a non-frosted mug instead of no mug at all.

Done it a handful of times at this point :smack:

... when you start thinking about Thanksgiving dinner 2 months ahead of time. No, not the food --- the kind of beer to have ready by then!

No doubt! I feel like I'm always living one season ahead. Fall brews in Summer, Winter brews in Fall...

Yup. Thinking about halloween buffet, turkey day, & Christmas too. Plenty of beer for me, & for you. To eat & drink our fill, with something far better than swill. To contemplate & ruminate, to plan & to brew. all for the enjoyment of me & you.

When you are starting to trust your skills and knowledge, which stops you from panic mistakes.

Just started a Berliner Weisse with an old smack pack of the Wyeast blend. Even after 24h in really warm temperatures (since it was old I carried it around on my body for 12h since there was no activity after the first 12h) the pack would hardly swell at all. I recalled details of how this would always be a slow starter, even though all previous smacks showed strong activity withing 2h. So I ripped it open and smelled. Yes, lactic acid! Pitched. Waited. 24h later still nothing. I want to panic, but stop myself. 12h later and I have noticable fermentation with bubbles every second and it has been ramping up over the last 6 with no signs of slowing, only growing.

Glad I trusted myself, my knowledge, and my gut. Kept me from wasting money on an extra pitch which migth have screwed me.

...When you get on a nostalgia kick & look back at Luchow's 70th anniversary cookbook. From a place that stood for fine German & Austrian cooking for 100 years...that couldn't get historic status in NYC. The American point of entry for Wurzburger beer, an amber colored nectar of the Gods I even now yearn for with an aching heart. Can't even find recipe descriptions. Wurzburger still exists in Germany, even have their own restaurant. But nothing so grand as August Luchow's 1880's grand gothic style. I must find this beer to duplicate it...then serve it with recipes out of the original 1952 edition I yet posses. Check out these pics & story;http://www.6sqft.com/then-now-from-luchows-german-restaurant-to-nyu-dorm/

...When you get on a nostalgia kick & look back at Luchow's 70th anniversary cookbook. From a place that stood for fine German & Austrian cooking for 100 years...that couldn't get historic status in NYC. The American point of entry for Wurzburger beer, an amber colored nectar of the Gods I even now yearn for with an aching heart. Can't even find recipe descriptions. Wurzburger still exists in Germany, even have their own restaurant. But nothing so grand as August Luchow's 1880's grand gothic style. I must find this beer to duplicate it...then serve it with recipes out of the original 1952 edition I yet posses. Check out these pics & story;http://www.6sqft.com/then-now-from-luchows-german-restaurant-to-nyu-dorm/
If you need some help with German sources I´d be happy to translate the idea of it to aid you along. Würzburger Hofbräu does some different beers, but if you help me narrow my search I can maybe throw in a few minutes of research and otherwise translate the gist of some things.

When you find other uses for your chemicals. I find my 80% lactic acid to be extremely good at removing limestone from things like my water boiler. And Oxiclean (soda cleaner here) just is beastly for everything. How did I ever live without that stuff?

Boiling my non brewing related glassware in a small pot always leaves plenty of resin cooked on the side. I use pbw to clean it and it leaves it looking brand new.

Boiling my non brewing related glassware in a small pot always leaves plenty of resin cooked on the side. I use pbw to clean it and it leaves it looking brand new.

And... You're not scraping that out first?

Wasteful.

[emoji3]

When you always have yeast in the fridge, but never anything to bake with. Then when you finally have the rare bakers yeast you can´t stop smelling it...

When SWMBO asks when she can use the garage again to park her car.

Your first mistake was to admit that it is a garage.

Call it a brewery, a work shop, a shed, a barn, a man cave, a whatever..... Cars park in garage's. Beer can be brewed in the work shop. Cars get worked on in a shop. Cabinets can be built in a work shop. You can keep your goat in the shop. :goat:

If you do these things in the garage, at the end of the day you need to make room for the wife's car!

The only difference being in the terminology, not the actual structure itself.

;)

When SWMBO asks when she can use the garage again to park her car.

Only project or race cars go in the garage...when will they understand?

I solved that issue last year, 2 car garage for wife's car and daughters dance floor and a 1 car garage/hobby/brew space for me and whatever project is in progress.

Call it a brewery, a work shop, a shed, a barn, a man cave, a whatever..... Cars park in garage's. Beer can be brewed in the work shop. Cars get worked on in a shop. Cabinets can be built in a work shop. You can keep your goat in the shop. :goat:

Does your wife know about you and the goat? :cross:

When you comment on fermentation kicking off with the words "Houston, we got lift-off", followed by a heroic pose.

Back