AHH, Brew day tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Just got done with getting my brew gear cleaned. Brewing tomorrow :D :D
My starter is ready, my buckets are clean and my ingredients fresh. Figure on starting around 9AM and be all cleaned up for the race/football(J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS) :mad: They sucked the first game. But Notre Dame is winning again :D Everyone have a good weekend.

I just mashed in, and ORRELSE and his SWMBO will be here shortly. I plan to try and get some pics from this session.

I posted a couple pics of my "rig" in my gallery. Unfortunately, we never got around to shooting any other pics.

Have a good time tomorrow!

I just brewed tonight. Everything seemed to go ok, but you never really know until you get to taste it, right? Keep your fingers crossed! :D
I've also had a few of my last batch, so this is approprite...appropr...this fits... :drunk:

Sam75 said:
I just mashed in, and ORRELSE and his SWMBO will be here shortly. I plan to try and get some pics from this session.

Any pics of me last night would have looked like Mr. Smily here: :drunk:

Wow....between the Skullsplitter, the DFH 90, 60, a drunken monkey and more varieties of DFH, I'm surprised I knew my own name. That stuff snuck up on me. I was tore up.
Everything went pretty smooth in the brew session though except for the chilling issues. The never-ending chilling issues it seems.
Nailed the gravity and that sucker was bubbling before I left. :cool:

ORRELSE said:
Everything went pretty smooth in the brew session though except for the chilling issues. The never-ending chilling issues it seems.

I here ya! Pain in the arse in this weather.

Well brewday has come and gone with no major problems. Did a Belgian Abbey style ale. Everything set up fine when I discovered I was a 1/4oz short on my bittering hops. Had to substitute another type I had around, hoping the small amount won't screw me up. Went to open up the 2 5lb bags of DME I ordered from Austin HBS and found one wasn't vacum sealed properly, luckly it was double bagged. The recipe I was following called for 9.5lbs of DME, I was doing a 3.5 gal boil in a 5gal pot. That much DME almost overflowed the damn pot :eek: I added it a little at a time and stirred it in to desolve it, if I ever tried to put that much in all at once there wouldn't have been any room for my spoon. Everything else went fine, The starter I made the night before was bubbling away when I pitched it. Now just have to wait for a couple of months to see how it comes out.

Hope your brew went well, because Notre Dame sure didn't. I'll give them something though - they beat Michigan. Michigan better get their act together.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Well brewday has come and gone with no major problems. Did a Belgian Abbey style ale. Everything set up fine when I discovered I was a 1/4oz short on my bittering hops. Had to substitute another type I had around, hoping the small amount won't screw me up. Went to open up the 2 5lb bags of DME I ordered from Austin HBS and found one wasn't vacum sealed properly, luckly it was double bagged. The recipe I was following called for 9.5lbs of DME, I was doing a 3.5 gal boil in a 5gal pot. That much DME almost overflowed the damn pot :eek: I added it a little at a time and stirred it in to desolve it, if I ever tried to put that much in all at once there wouldn't have been any room for my spoon. Everything else went fine, The starter I made the night before was bubbling away when I pitched it. Now just have to wait for a couple of months to see how it comes out.

Brew days rule when they go according to plan, don't they?!

What was your OG, and what yeast did you use?

2nd Street Brewery said:
The recipe I was following called for 9.5lbs of DME, I was doing a 3.5 gal boil in a 5gal pot. That much DME almost overflowed the damn pot :eek: I added it a little at a time and stirred it in to desolve it, if I ever tried to put that much in all at once there wouldn't have been any room for my spoon.

Did you have any boil over's . Initially, DME wants to foam like crazy..how did you handle that? It sounds like you were at the limits of your boil pot.

My OG was a little lower than I expected, 1.083. I ran it through the Recipator site and was supposed to work out at 1.092. I used Wyeast's Forbidden Fruit yeast(don't recall product number).

As far as boil overs I basicly sat next to my burner with my have on the trigger so to speak. I would let it work up a good boil and when the foam started to get to the top I would turn down the gas. I had to let my boil run over 60min as I had problems being able to keep a good rolling boil going.

Well I racked to my secondary yesterday before the games. SG is down to 1.036 shooting for around 1.020. Smelled good but sweet. Needs time.

Back