URGENT sanitizer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merleman

Reaction score
I am bottling my first batch of brew. Ihave sanitized my bottles in the no rinse sanitizer. It leaves a white film in the top of the bottle after they are dry. Will this hurt my brew? Do I need to rinse them in hot water before i bottle? Please help.

Thanks

Roger

The bag doesn't say. i bought it at a home brew shop and the guy baggeed it himself. It doesn't taste bad. I tasted it to be sure.

Roger

Well if it says no rinse, I would go ahead with it... If you want to wait a little bit longer, I am sure someone else will have some more information...

Good luck,

:mug:

You are more than likely using Onestep? (The pseudo sanitizer)

You shouldn't let them dry, they are no-rinse/WET contact sanitizers, meaning if you dry them they lose their efficacy....If you dilluted the sanitizer at the proper concentration and bottle on top of it it will be fine.

I would re-sanitize them (meaning dip them again) and bottle...but bottling on top of the scale SHOULD be ok, but if it were me, I would re-sanitize them.

ANd after you use up all that powder crap do some research and choose the only true FDA CERTIFIED SANITIZERS for brewing, Iodophor and Starsan...

Here's some info on why those powdered stuff like starsan are not true sanitizers...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/ And info to help you choose which of the two sanitizers you want to use, they both are excellant...

Thanks for the quick response. I am just alittle anal and worry too damn much. Will it hurt to rinse the bottles in hot water before bottling the beer? The water is coming out of the same tap that I add water to my wort out of. Also I am on a water well. Will this hurt my brew?

Thanks

Roger

Thanks Guys. I am new to home brewing and I don't want to mess up the first batch.

Roger

Thanks for the quick response. I am just alittle anal and worry too damn much. Will it hurt to rinse the bottles in hot water before bottling the beer? The water is coming out of the same tap that I add water to my wort out of. Also I am on a water well. Will this hurt my brew?

Thanks

Roger

I would rater re-sanitized them and bottled wet than rinsing with tap water...but that's just me..If not then I would bottle on top...rinsing the sanitizer off is adding to the risk...

Told ya there would be some more info shortly... :D

As far as screwing it up, don't worry... It will happen at some point... As long as you learn from that mistake, then it is acceptable...

Did it foam like a mofo and have a slightly tangy taste? (God I know what starsan tastes like...)

If so you're *probably* okay. I noticed that soaking plastic or glass in starsan for extended periods of time (days) results in a milky white film. I never bottled with it, I just scrub and sanitize again.

Told ya there would be some more info shortly... :D

As far as screwing it up, don't worry... It will happen at some point... As long as you learn from that mistake, then it is acceptable...

And it seriously takes a lot to ruin your beer...even if you follow the simplest precautions and screw up...your beer is hardier than most new brewers think...just let them sit 3 weeks at 70 and all will be well..

Here's some stories of many of our f-ups! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Also here's some of my tips to make bottling easy...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Back