Partial grain/extract brews...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
For my next batch I want to use extract but also grains through steeping. What malted grains can I steep? I read some you can and some (that need to be mashed which I don't know how to do or have the equipment for) can I steep? And also grains which can be steep need to be crushed, correct?

Look at one of the websites like AHS's or MoreBeer where it describes different specialty grains and their properties.

One of the most commonly used are crystal/caramel malt; especially in american ales. And darker crystal malts can be found in many stouts and porters. Other common specialty grains are chocolate malt, carapils, aromatic malt, biscuit malt. As for actually steeping, just steep them at 155 for a good 30-45 minutes.

Crystal and most others have to be crushed. Your LHBS would do this for you most likely, they will probably ask when you buy them. Most of the website you could possibly order grains from give you that option as well when you order.

Grains like honey malt, rye, munich, and vienna have to be mashed. You can check out the sticky post about partial mash by Deathbrewer, its very informative w/pics included.

Back