Gas Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
On a positive note...

What's the price of gas where you live? Here in PDX it is currently $2.29/gallon. We saw nearly $4 just a few months ago, and down in the Bay Area I saw prices > $4 near my mother in law's house.

Sure is nice to see it go down for a change!

Yep. And all the people that were shaking their fists wildly in the air and screaming "daaaamn you Exxon!" and demanding "windfall profit taxes" when we were at $4/gallon...where is their praise now that it's down to $2? Jerkasses.

Paid $2.34 yesterday here in CT, home of the highest gas tax in the country. Got some strange looks when I did my happy dance while filling up.

Thanks to some Stop & Shop gas points received for grocery shopping, my wife filled up a couple of days ago for $1.05 a gallon. Of course, she took the tiny-tank car and not the mini-van.

Filled up for 1.85 a gal yesterday. Dang that feels good to say.

SD

I just paid $3.099 for diesel for my TDI Beetle, down from a high of $4.999.

Why can't the refineries go back to making diesel the old way, when it was cheaper the regular.:(

Yep. And all the people that were shaking their fists wildly in the air and screaming "daaaamn you Exxon!" and demanding "windfall profit taxes" when we were at $4/gallon...where is their praise now that it's down to $2? Jerkasses.

Exxon is making the same amount of money today as they did at $4 a gallon. However ignorance of the gasoline industry will always cause people to blame "Big Oil" for everything.

Not to get this into the debate forum, but for those that think big oil is screwing you...

* googles on the internets and found Exxon's 2nd Quarter earnings report
* Read the report to find some statistic that would tell how many gallons of gas they produce
* 159.6 billion gallons produced
* Exxon made $11.7 Billion
*$11.7 Billion divided by 159.6 billion gallons produced means they made a windfall profit of 7.3 cents per gallon.

http://www.marylandgasprices.com/tax_info.aspx <-- see how much "big government" makes on gas sales per gallon. Let's "Windfall Tax" those *****ies.

So - no matter HOW much your gas prices go up, "Big Oil" will probably make less than $0.10 per gallon. They make money on VOLUME.

If gas is $2.20 a gallon, and we buy 160 billion gallons, they make 11.7 billion.
If gas is $5.82 a gallon, and we buy 160 billion gallons, they make (wait for it) 11.7 billion.

It's $2.17 in Baltimore, MD. :)

Paid $1.84 last night.

:)

If gas is $2.20 a gallon, and we buy 160 billion gallons, they make 11.7 billion.
If gas is $5.82 a gallon, and we buy 160 billion gallons, they make (wait for it) 11.7 billion.

People have a problem with it because gas sales are decreasing, their costs are increasing, and yet their profits are increasing immensely. More than can be attributed to inflation or natural growth of the business, especially in a shrinking market.

Companies don't post record profits in failing markets without a little bit of gouging. I'm not advocating any new taxes or anything, but they're certainly not innocent victims of OPEC.

$2.14 here, I never thought I'd see the day where it would fall below $3.

When I started driving gas was around $1.16-$1.20... I remember when it hit $1.60 and I freaked out... yeah.

I'll be very happy if it stays around the $2 mark.

$2.39/gal. right now. I fully expect it to creep back up now that the elections are over and the holidays are near.

Paid $1.84 last night.

:)

People have a problem with it because gas sales are decreasing, their costs are increasing, and yet their profits are increasing immensely. More than can be attributed to inflation or natural growth of the business, especially in a shrinking market.

Companies don't post record profits in failing markets without a little bit of gouging. I'm not advocating any new taxes or anything, but they're certainly not innocent victims of OPEC.

Keep in mind that earnings & revenue are 2 different things. Large companies have cash & investments they keep their profits in that can increase or decrease depending on the markets they invest in. This can affect their earnings, so companies can have no increase in revenue and still report higher earnings due to their investments.

2.79 for premium in bridgeport. It was 4.79 at one point for premium.

Can't wait to hit stop and shop in milford and use up my gas points!

I still stand in the middle of the gas station shaking my fists at the sky and yelling "Damn you Exxon". However that's because they snuck into my house a few years ago and rearranged my collection of celebrity-owned pocket lint.

Not to make this political, but I noticed a pattern when looking at the gas prices. Kinda similar to voting patterns this year isn't :)

Don't know if there is a reason or not, but it would be interesting to investigate if I was a poli-sci major.

Maps-1.png

I totally don't understand why it's so cheap right smack in the middle of the country. Seems like transportation costs would be higher. There must be less taxation on gas in those states. I know in my state that the gas tax is pretty high.

This is from GasPriceWatch.com:
Sorted by tax on gas.

State Gas Diesel
(cpg) (cpg)
Georgia 7.5 7.5
Alaska 8 8
Wyoming 14 14
Florida 14.5 27.2
New Jersey 14.5 17.5
Kentucky 15 12
Hawaii 16 16
Oklahoma 16 13
South Carolina 16 16
Missouri 17 17
New Mexico 17 18
Vermont 17.5 26
Virginia 17.5 16
Alabama 18 19
Arizona 18 18
California 18 18
Indiana 18 16
Mississippi 18 18
New Hampshire 18 18
Illinois 19 21.5
Michigan 19 15
Dist. of Columbia 20 20
Iowa 20 22.5
Louisiana 20 20
Minnesota 20 20
Tennessee 20 18
Texas 20 20
West Virginia 20.5 20.5
North Dakota 21 21
Arkansas 21.5 22.5
Colorado 22 20.5
South Dakota 22 22
Delaware 23 22
Nevada 23 27
Maryland 23.5 24.25
Massachusetts 23.5 23.5
Kansas 24 26
Oregon 24 24
Utah 24.5 24.5
Connecticut 25 26
Idaho 25 25
Maine 25.2 26.3
Nebraska 25.4 25.4
Ohio 26 26
North Carolina 26.6 26.6
Montana 27.75 28.5
Washington 28 28
Rhode Island 30 30
Pennsylvania 31.1 35.1
New York 31.9 28.9
Wisconsin 32.1 32.1

Ahoy hoy,
Here in Fairbanks Alaska today, its about 3.30 a gallon.....still...
When the prices go up our prices change daily, when they go down, they run a month behind everyone else. Gee, nothing like a good hosing during winter....
I bid you all a great day!

Oil is down to $61/barrel today... granted, the market is floundering under the horrible job reports, BUT, the silver lining is that SWMBO has released another several $K for me to invest, so we are buying on the cheap! WOOT! Now if we can only make our bi-weekly contributions for a year or so with the Dow hovering around 8,000... I will be happy.

POL

Back