Looking for hops Black Friday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
Preferably citra pellet pounds. I can't find any deals. They're all >$20 which is outrageous.

Does anyone know of any deals?

I think the cheapest you are going to pay for them is around $22-$25 per pound. Most likely for last year's crop too. I have not seen any of the 2015 crop available anywhere.

I have seen very few / limited varieties of 2015 hop crops. When is this year's harvest going to be available en masse?

I have seen very few / limited varieties of 2015 hop crops. When is this year's harvest going to be available en masse?

I think they are all out now. I think this refects the 140% growth in craft beers in the past 6 years, probably a similar growth in home brewing, and the madly over-hopped beers many of us want. I'm surprised they are still this cheap.

If the hop farms didn't prepare for it, get ready for a shortage next year and even higher prices for select varieties.

Preferably citra pellet pounds. I can't find any deals. They're all >$20 which is outrageous.

Does anyone know of any deals?

Considering my shop sells them for $2.15 and ounce is say anything under that would be a deal. Northern brewer sells them for $4/oz which is about $64 a pound. What isn't expensive to you for this hop? I think it is still proprietary.

I bought 3 pounds of these along with some other stuff. Two pounds were vacuum packed and one must have leaked because it was no longer under vaccuum. What would you do? Will they take them back? The only reason I bought them there was because they were vacuum packed 2015 hops. I could have bought 2014 nitrogen purged bags no problem.

If you plan on brewing with Citra soon, and with 3 lbs l assume you are, then start with that pack.

Not perfect, but is it worth the hassle. Send them a message, so they are aware of a problem.

I bought 3 pounds of these along with some other stuff. Two pounds were vacuum packed and one must have leaked because it was no longer under vaccuum. What would you do? ...

Never had a problem with them to know what they would do to help, no harm in sending them a message, let us know if they have good customer service.

Considering my shop sells them for $2.15 and ounce is say anything under that would be a deal. Northern brewer sells them for $4/oz which is about $64 a pound. What isn't expensive to you for this hop? I think it is still proprietary.

Your shop isn't too bad.

IMO they shouldn't cost anymore than cascade which is around $12/lb. I've seen it as high as $16 though.

Why does citra cost more? Is it harder to grow? Less yield?

I think they are all out now. I think this refects the 140% growth in craft beers in the past 6 years, probably a similar growth in home brewing, and the madly over-hopped beers many of us want. I'm surprised they are still this cheap.

If the hop farms didn't prepare for it, get ready for a shortage next year and even higher prices for select varieties.

Not to mention the drought and fires in the NW affected yields for 2015. Some varieties are going to be very expensive or downright hard to find.

It reminds me of ~2008. :eek:

Your shop isn't too bad.

IMO they shouldn't cost anymore than cascade which is around $12/lb. I've seen it as high as $16 though.

It has less yield per acre than cascade, it's not grown on as much acerage, and it's a trademarked hop (meaning not every farmer has access to it even if they wanted to grow it).

Where did you find them at deal, specharka? What hops and crop year are we talking?

yakimavalleyhops.com

Got a 8 lb mix of 2014 (Northern Brewer, Ella, Styrian Golding, Magnum, Columbus, Liberty, Cluster, Warrior) and 2 lb mix of 2015 (Centennial, Citra, Galaxy, Equinox). $0.75/oz is pretty sweet.

Your shop isn't too bad.

Like others have said, it's a proprietary hop which only a handful of growers are contracted to grow as determined by the developer. Cascade is a public variety which anyone can grow. Being the developer of a variety gives you the ability to regulate how much acreage is planted which has a great impact on the cost of that variety. If the demand goes down you can tell your growers to rip out acreage to help keep the supply/demand in your favor. At this point, the demand for many of the 'hot' hops is still growing but acreage isn't expanding quick enough to keep up with that demand so the price for those varieties is at a premium. Here's some recent data on the US crop: http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=press&pressID=65

Forgot, Freshops.com has 2015 Citra if you're looking for leaf. I just got a few pounds in last week and can tell you that they're really juicy! Hoppy Trails~

Your shop isn't too bad.

It's proprietary. It has been since 2011 or maybe even before then. I believe a grower needs a license to grow it and those aren't cheap. Cascade is available as a $4 rhizome or probably free from anyone in your area who grows it and needs to trim theirs. Someone did the research to grow citra so they want to be paid for their time.

It's proprietary. It has been since 2011 or maybe even before then. I believe a grower needs a license to grow it and those aren't cheap. Cascade is available as a $4 rhizome or probably free from anyone in your area who grows it and needs to trim theirs. Someone did the research to grow citra so they want to be paid for their time.

I understand how it works. We live in a capitalist country so I'm all for it. However in some ways I'm not.

I just ordered a pound of Citra and a pound of El Dorado for $42.95 from Ebay. That's the best price that I could find. Now I get a chance to brew with these El Dorado hops. Sounds interesting.

Back