Using Kegerator as Fermentation Chamber...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
...while still using it as kegerator.

I'm using the FV-in-a-large-bucket-of-water method of chilling, and its been a chore to keep the water bath temp +/- 5* of target (ambient indoor temp has been fluctuating 10-12* per day).

So, I'm thinking of using my kegerator as fermentation chamber (with the appropriate temperature controller) for ales. But, I would still have beer in the kegerator. What effect (if any) will the increase in temp have on the existing kegged beer? Am I asking for trouble with flavor, staling, carbonation issues with the kegged beer if temp is increased to ~65F, then returned to 40F?

I'm thinking I'd place the FV in the kegerator, hook-up a temp. control doomaflotchy and set it for the low-end of the fermentation temp range. I'd then move the FV out of the kegerator once krausen settles & disconnect the temp controller, returning the kegerator back to 40F.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

I store my secondaries in Corny kegs in my kegorator, AFTER fermentation. I have never put a fermenting beer in there though. you might loose a little shelf life on the beer that is "kegged"

Hmm.. I guess I didn't think about using something to warm the FV inside my kegerator. What kind of temperature differential can you get from a heatsource? My kegerator sits at around 40F, would the fermwrap/controller combo be able to bring the FV up to 65F?

My wife just rolls her eyes when I start talking about the stuff I "NEED" to buy for brewing, so I'd like to use what I have for now!

Hmm.. I guess I didn't think about using something to warm the FV inside my kegerator. What kind of temperature differential can you get from a heatsource? My kegerator sits at around 40F, would the fermwrap/controller combo be able to bring the FV up to 65F?

My wife just rolls her eyes when I start talking about the stuff I "NEED" to buy for brewing, so I'd like to use what I have for now!

40-65 is a big jump. FermWrap is about 40 watts per foot (www.beanfarm.com). You might be able to accomplish it with a couple feet of the 11" fermwrap then cover that with some bubblewrap to keep the heat in.

I am interested in this too. I know you said you want to go with the stuff you have, but there was this thread...wish I could find it...where a guy lined a 10G round cooler with copper line. There was still room for his fermenting carboy inside of it. The line was connected to a pump through the kegerator side and was connected to a corny with water in it. The mass of the water meant that most of it was in the fridge getting/staying cold while some of travelled out and back in from the fermentation cooler keeping it chilled. Way cool.

Sorry, that was probably the opposite of helpful.

I was thinking about doing the same but using lager yeast (fermemter into keezer, raise temps to 50's) . Not that I'm a big lager fan, but now that it is summer my basement isn't going to sit at 65 any more. I also need a solution.

This guy has a new product out, basically a soft-cooler for fermenters, you still need to swap out ice bottles.

helibrewer said:
40-65 is a big jump. FermWrap is about 40 watts per foot (www.beanfarm.com). You might be able to accomplish it with a couple feet of the 11" fermwrap then cover that with some bubblewrap to keep the heat in.

How much heat does the fermwrap put out? Is it hot enough to melt bubble-wrap (or any plastic material you might use for insulation)?

dbrewski said:
I am interested in this too. I know you said you want to go with the stuff you have, but there was this thread...wish I could find it...where a guy lined a 10G round cooler with copper line. There was still room for his fermenting carboy inside of it. The line was connected to a pump through the kegerator side and was connected to a corny with water in it. The mass of the water meant that most of it was in the fridge getting/staying cold while some of travelled out and back in from the fermentation cooler keeping it chilled. Way cool.

Sorry, that was probably the opposite of helpful.

This sounds kinda cool. Might be a bit more investment than a used chest freezer w/ controller, but it'd be easier to store away when not in use. I might hafta try something like this.

dbrewski said:
I was thinking about doing the same but using lager yeast (fermemter into keezer, raise temps to 50's) . Not that I'm a big lager fan, but now that it is summer my basement isn't going to sit at 65 any more. I also need a solution.

This guy has a new product out, basically a soft-cooler for fermenters, you still need to swap out ice bottles.

This looks interesting also. But, I'm not sure it really solves the problem of easily maintaining fermentation temps.

Back