Where to get Stainless tubing for HERMS coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought my 1/2 SS tubing from nybrewsupply.com, but via their ebay store instead of their website. They have additional options there for 316/316L and longer lengths.

Just takes a little patience and a solid form to coil it around. If you can make the pre-formed coils work for you, definitely go that route. But I wanted a custom fit for my kettles and got exactly that. I use mine exclusively as a HERMS and it's hard mounted in my HLT.

Never used them but have looked at http://www.nybrewsupply.com/ the SS coils.

Yup. 50' of 3/8" for me was like $75ish about a year ago.

Stainless is almost as good as copper but not quite. I use mine as a herms coil now with quite good performance. I retired it from trying to chill 15 gallons in less than 1hr and got a plate chiller.

Stainless is more resistant to chemicals. Copper has higher heat transfer properties. I think copper is also more resistant to bacteria and stuff. Stainless could also be used during fermentation with a pump and temp controller as a means to cool a fermentation. You wouldn't want to do that with copper.

If you have never bent stainless.........buy it finished. I bought the stainless IM chiller from Midwest and cut the stand tubes off. I then used the off fall for my whirlpool tube. When you roll stainell it deforme it a bit and makes it more oval. I had to take a hammer and round the ends back so that I could slide my compression nut on it. I used a couple of swaglock stainless 90 compression fittings on the inside. It works great and it was fast and easy. It works like a charm! I bought the 1/2" size and tried to keep everything at 1/2" on my rig. Save yourself the absolute head-ache of trying to bend stainless. May be a little more, but you will be thank yourself over and over.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stai...ort-chiller-w-garden-hose-fittings-50-ft.html

The previous link to the McMaster part number is for coiled. You have to look at the catalog page to see it. For some reason the individual item page makes it look like 50' of straight pipe. It might not be the exact diameter coil you need, but theelectricbrewery.com has a great guide on how to adjust coil diameter.

Back