Brewer's Friend FG calculations??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
My Bavarian Hefeweizen kit specifies the OG should be around 1.046 and FG 1.012.

Brewer's friend is telling me 1.009 which is quite off. What exactly is it using to get these calculations and how can I edit the recipe to make it more accurate?

I'm assuming this is an extract kit? beers made with extract usually finish a bit higher than all grain.
also, on bf, yeast selection plays a big part. wb-06 is more attenuative than say 3068.
& finally, if partial mash or all grain, mash temp & duration as well as water/grain ratio can all have an effect on fg.

I'm assuming this is an extract kit? beers made with extract usually finish a bit higher than all grain.
also, on bf, yeast selection plays a big part. wb-06 is more attenuative than say 3068.
& finally, if partial mash or all grain, mash temp & duration as well as water/grain ratio can all have an effect on fg.

It is an extract kit and Brewers Friend provides options for this in the recipe. I assumed it takes that into account in the calculation?

If it's telling you that the OG is the same as the recipe estimate, but only the FG varies, then it's about attenuation. Yeast are not machines with 100% predictability. They have a range of attenuation. From 1.046, 1.012 would be 73.9% vs. 80.4% for 1.009. What's the yeast? Look at BF in that section and you'll see it lists a range, but uses a particular value from the range in the stated estimate. It's not a perfect science.

Latest posts

Back