Rookie needs recipe help (Vienna Honey Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
Looking to make my first AG lager... I know i like vienna style lagers, and I wanted to use about 20% honey malt for sweetness and flavor. I like smooth over bitter, and try to stay away from over-hopping.

Can someone get me started??

OOPS! I was off on the recipe I used. I was going from memory, which was not quite accurate.

revised:

5lbs Vienna malt
3lbs German Pilsner malt
2lbs Munich malt
4oz Carafa II

1 oz Liberty 90 minutes
1 oz Liberty 10 minutes
1 oz Liberty @ flameout

I like to do a decoction mash, either single or double depending on how much time I've got. I like any kind of German lager yeast with this so far, specifically a Munich variety. 14 day ~52F fermentation then 3 day diacetyl rest, then lagering for a week for every 10 gravity points.

This has been one of my favorite lagers that I've been making.

I'm not sure about how much honey malt I would use, but I suppose you could reduce the pils and Vienna a little and add that too. The Munich adds some richness to the beer as well, so I wouldn't throw that one out. Good luck!

20% Crystal would probably RUIN a lager. Seems like crystal sort of jumps out in a lager more so than in an ale. So go very, very light at first, especially if you are adding Munich, which is pretty malty to begin with.

Furthermore, a lot of people post here about how Honey Malt especially gets sticky sweet when used higher an 10%, so that would make me nervous as well. I used 6oz in a Munich Helles type beer, and that was pretty good and you could even up it a bit.

Latest posts

Back