Bad head retention, what can I do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewsterT

Reaction score
I just switched from extract to partial mash and then to all grain. None of my beers now seem to get very good head retention since I stopped doing extract. Any advice on what I can do about this?

Head retention is effected by so many variables that it's hard to nail all of them. Anything from the glasses to the mash temp you use can hurt it.

Try using a glass that hasn't been washed with soap. Most common household soaps won't be fully cleaned off a glass. The minute amount that adheres to the glasses will kill head.

You can try adding grains like carapils, carafoam, or flaked wheat/barley to your recipes. All of these will increase the proteins in the beer and help head retention and enhance the body of the beer too.

I'm not sure what kinds of mash schedules you use, but if you're doing a protein rest, there's no need. Try mashing at a higher temp (156-158) to help increase proteins. Protein rests are only a good idea if you're using a high % of lighter base malts like pilsner or if you're using some older english varieties. Even most english grains these days don't need it.

even a little oatmeal can add enough proteins to leave good head forming bubbles, without really adding flavor to the beer (or requiring rice hulls in the mash)

BYO had an article on this in my last issue. all about cereal (oats, grits, corn flakes) in brewing.

I've had good results using late hop additions and some crystal malts, about 1 lb for 5 gal with good results. A bit disapointed with carapils however. I does add body but not as much head as I thought.

Back