Absinthe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMckeever

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made this? I've seen wormwood for sale, but not the Artmesia absinthium that is traditionally used...

I believe this is the correct strain:

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/prodinfo.asp?number=HWO-8480

I saw a program on this recently. Pretty interesting, watched the guy make it in these old copper kettles. To keep this in the 'beer' realm, Wormwood has been used by some to flavor beer although it is not recommeded because its bitterness factor is overwhelming. Interestingly enough, the Thujone content of Sage is much higher...

What you are looking for is artemisia absinthium. Just to point out, it most likely isn't going to be 'real' abinthe. I plan to eventually embark on your same adventure (since the 'real' stuff over here is low quality, and overpriced, :mad: ) . Goto this site for more info: www.feeverte.net

BP may or may not have experimented with the wormwood. Either way, it may or may not have been AWESOME when I sampled it.

You may or may not want to ask him how he did it.

I may or may not try to duplicate it in the future.

I may or may not have been doing research on home distillation lately.

Good luck. :D

zoebisch01 said:
Interestingly enough, the Thujone content of Sage is much higher...

Whoa? Really? Is it the same kind of Thujone? Cause if it is, lets devise a recipe!

celtic_man81 said:
What you are looking for is artemisia absinthium. Just to point out, it most likely isn't going to be 'real' abinthe. I plan to eventually embark on your same adventure (since the 'real' stuff over here is low quality, and overpriced, :mad: ) . Goto this site for more info: www.feeverte.net

Actually, I just read what you were asking for (I wrote this at 4 in the morning), I think what you are looking for is Roman Wormwood (a.k.a Artemisa Pontica).

As for the Thujone, I think there is only one kind, but just in case I would consult www.feeverte.net.

Wormwood is wormwood... grand wormwood, roman wormwood.... they are both used to make absinthe.... They are both real absinthe... they both contain thujone... you will never hallucinate.... Low quality and overpriced? Wormwood is dirt cheap... its the booze thats overpriced $70-100 for a bottle. Why was it illegal for so long??... it took hundreds of years to make it legal in the U.S again... what was dumb was it was legal to make absinthe but you couldn't drink or sell it. Now we need to just legalize weed

I've never seen anyone dig up a four year old thread before. Wonder if the guy ever made it......:)

this is an interesting idea. i drank a few bottles last year, and though i didn't particularly enjoy it, it may be a neat addition to a stout, or a strong IPA.

To clear up some misconceptions that people have about Absinthe:

1. No, you cannot make absinthe. Absinthe requires distillation. So unless you live in a place where distillation by private individuals is allowed, you cannot make Absinthe. You can buy kits where you steep the required herbs in a mixture of everclear and vodka for a few weeks, and then bottle that. But that isn't Absinthe, that is everclear and vodka steeped in herbs and bottled.
2. Grande Wormwood is a legal substance. You can buy it from any hippie co-op place that sells flowers and herbs for your garden.
3. Thujone, the one compound present in Grande Wormwood, is not a hallucinogen. There are no hallucinogenic compounds in Absinthe. Thujone is a convulsant. If you drank about 5000 bottles of absinthe, you would lose control of your muscles because of the Thujone. Except you wouldn't lose control of your muscles, because you would be dead for reasons unrelated to Thujone. There is only one powerful drug in absinthe. It is the drug that this forum is based around.
4. Properly made absinthe contains very little Thujone.
5. Much of the absinthe you will find on the store shelves is not absinthe. If you want to know if the absinthe is real, check the label and check the color. If the label is hyping up the thujone content or if it is the color of mouthwash, it isn't real Absinthe. It is most likely made in a similar way to the kits that I mentioned above.
6. You should not use sugar or light anything on fire when drinking absinthe. Sugar was used to cover up bad flavors in ****ty absinthe (think putting fruit in ****ty beers to mask the awful taste). Lighting the unnecessary sugar cube on fire was a way for Czech bartenders to impress stupid tourists and make lots of money.
7. The way you should drink absinthe is to put 1 shot of it in a tall glass and slowely drip ice-cold water over it. You should have between 3:1 and 5:1 parts water:absinthe.
8. There was never a good reason to ban absinthe. Absinthe was banned in a moral panic all over europe because of one incident of a guy drinking 2 shots of absinthe and shooting his wife and daughter. He had also had 6 shots of Brandy and 2 glasses of wine. Winemakers (who had seen massive declines in use in France and surrounding areas in favor of absinthe) lead this charge to ban.

So there you have it. If you here anyone tell a story about how he saw everything melting after taking absinthe, laugh in his face. It is as stupid as acting really drunk after drinking a bottle of sparkling cider because you thought it was champagne.

To clear up some misconceptions that people have about Absinthe:

1. No, you cannot make absinthe. Absinthe requires distillation. So unless you live in a place where distillation by private individuals is allowed, you cannot make Absinthe. You can buy kits where you steep the required herbs in a mixture of everclear and vodka for a few weeks, and then bottle that. But that isn't Absinthe, that is everclear and vodka steeped in herbs and bottled.
2. Grande Wormwood is a legal substance. You can buy it from any hippie co-op place that sells flowers and herbs for your garden.
3. Thujone, the one compound present in Grande Wormwood, is not a hallucinogen. There are no hallucinogenic compounds in Absinthe. Thujone is a convulsant. If you drank about 5000 bottles of absinthe, you would lose control of your muscles because of the Thujone. Except you wouldn't lose control of your muscles, because you would be dead for reasons unrelated to Thujone. There is only one powerful drug in absinthe. It is the drug that this forum is based around.
4. Properly made absinthe contains very little Thujone.
5. Much of the absinthe you will find on the store shelves is not absinthe. If you want to know if the absinthe is real, check the label and check the color. If the label is hyping up the thujone content or if it is the color of mouthwash, it isn't real Absinthe. It is most likely made in a similar way to the kits that I mentioned above.
6. You should not use sugar or light anything on fire when drinking absinthe. Sugar was used to cover up bad flavors in ****ty absinthe (think putting fruit in ****ty beers to mask the awful taste). Lighting the unnecessary sugar cube on fire was a way for Czech bartenders to impress stupid tourists and make lots of money.
7. The way you should drink absinthe is to put 1 shot of it in a tall glass and slowely drip ice-cold water over it. You should have between 3:1 and 5:1 parts water:absinthe.
8. There was never a good reason to ban absinthe. Absinthe was banned in a moral panic all over europe because of one incident of a guy drinking 2 shots of absinthe and shooting his wife and daughter. He had also had 6 shots of Brandy and 2 glasses of wine. Winemakers (who had seen massive declines in use in France and surrounding areas in favor of absinthe) lead this charge to ban.

So there you have it. If you here anyone tell a story about how he saw everything melting after taking absinthe, laugh in his face. It is as stupid as acting really drunk after drinking a bottle of sparkling cider because you thought it was champagne.
having a glass of absinthe with a sugar cube is fine.. unless your a purist. Pouring a shot in your absinthe glass and drop ice cubes in your drink.. let it sit and slowly louche... once ice melts take a sip and enjoy the cold goodness. If you do the drip with ice water it doesn't get your absinthe that cold. St. George makes a good abisnthe out of alemeda, ca... and Pacifique out of washington also. La fee, la tournement vert, la muse vert, lucid all are real absinthe... they just use fake color. A nice absinthe to me is kind of a murkey greenish brown. Absinthe Blanch is ok... my first blanch was kubler and you could drink that with out sugar for sure. If only the prices on the stuff would come down to around $30-$40, $80-100 is a bit steep.

I have never made it, nor even tried it. However, one of my high school friends makes it, and from what I hear, at an extremely high quality and was very instrumental in getting the legal-ness back.

One of these days/nights, I'll have to give it a shot.

Good absinthe is good! I imported a few bottles of French and Swiss absinthe a few years ago when it was legal or not, depending on how you read the law and who you talked to - cost almost as much to ship it in as the absinthe cost.

Went through most of the bottles without seeing dancing green faeries :( which was sad, and did not fall on the floor in a convulsive state. However, it was a bit different than drinking normal booze, felt strange on the tongue in a way.

When it becomes cheap again to import, or real absinthe is available in the stores, I will get more. I only have a sampler of four 175 ml bottles left :drunk:

having a glass of absinthe with a sugar cube is fine.. unless your a purist.

Don't take my word for it!

There's the head distiller of St. George's Spirits talking about how to prepare absinthe. Start at 2:50.

Pouring a shot in your absinthe glass and drop ice cubes in your drink.. let it sit and slowly louche... once ice melts take a sip and enjoy the cold goodness. If you do the drip with ice water it doesn't get your absinthe that cold.

Cool tip! I'll try that tonight. I've found that just dripping does get it quite cold, though. I'll try your way and compare.

St. George makes a good abisnthe out of alemeda, ca... and Pacifique out of washington also. La fee, la tournement vert, la muse vert, lucid all are real absinthe... they just use fake color. A nice absinthe to me is kind of a murkey greenish brown. Absinthe Blanch is ok... my first blanch was kubler and you could drink that with out sugar for sure. If only the prices on the stuff would come down to around $30-$40, $80-100 is a bit steep.

Alright, you win that one. I should have said "most" absinthes that use a fake color are fake. I was more thinking of anything from the Czech republic/Absente/that sort of garbage.

I have never made it, nor even tried it. However, one of my high school friends makes it, and from what I hear, at an extremely high quality and was very instrumental in getting the legal-ness back.

Your high school friend doesn't happen to be Ted Breaux From New Orleans, does he?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take my word for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YfqDpMZEhg

There's the head distiller of St. George's Spirits talking about how to prepare absinthe. Start at 2:50.

Cool tip! I'll try that tonight. I've found that just dripping does get it quite cold, though. I'll try your way and compare.

Alright, you win that one. I should have said "most" absinthes that use a fake color are fake. I was more thinking of anything from the Czech republic/Absente/that sort of garbage.

Your high school friend doesn't happen to be Ted Breaux From New Orleans, does he?
If your just getting into absinthe it's nice to have a little added sugar... I can go either way, but I actually prefer 1-2 sugar cubes depending on the brand I am drinking. When you do the ice water drip it doesn't get as cold as I would like it to be.. but still enjoyable. On a hot day I will slowly let the ice melt in my glass... and ya all that czech Absente is garbage... I tried mansinthe last year and thought it wasn't that bad... It got so much criticism

Back