Pina Colada Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckus95

Reaction score
My wife is not much of a beer drinker (I am trying to change that). Most of what she likes are really light lagers and pilsners, mexican cerveza (Sol, Pacifico, etc.) and some fruit beers (razzwheats and lambics mostly). Since summer is approaching and we spend a lot of time by the pool, I would like to formulate something unique for her to try. She likes Pina Coladas, so I was thinking of the following (since this is experimental, it is a 2.5 gallon batch):

3.3 lbs Wheat LME
1/2 lbs Carapils
1/4 lbs Crystal Malt 20L

.5oz Hallertau (3.9%) -- (60 mins)
.25 oz Cascade (7.8%) -- (20 mins)
.25 oz Hallertau (3.9%) -- (10 mins)

Here is the interesting part, which I hope will work:

3 oz Coconut Cream (flameout)
1 oz Pineapple Extract (flameout)
10 oz Dark Rum (Bottling)

I read a lot of posts about the difficulty of using pineapple. So, does anyone think that this will work or does anyone see any potential problems? Also, do I need to lessen my priming sugar to account for the sugars in the coconut cream?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know how it would turn out, but I love the premise of this test and I'm subscribing to the thread!

Edit: I might consider lactose or something to sweeten up the beer a little since the sugar is just going to ferment out.

Certainly sounds interesting!

I am too new to really help you out, but I have done a few ciders / sweeter beers. I would imagine all the things you're adding after flameout have a fair amount of sugar in them; but I guess they'll account for something less than 5% of your beer. For priming that might be a slight issue and you might need to look up the various sugar contents then reduce your sugar accordingly; also I think the sugars will break down at different rates (this happens with the fruits in my ciders), which can cause a problem I have had- long, slow fermentation in the bottle, causing a slow change from under-carbonated to over. It wouldnt surprise me if the residual flavors of those additives slowly changed too. All in all I don't have enough experience to tell you what just 5% of these things will do.

Also Jawbox is right, the sugar is gonna ferment out and so you won't be left with any sweetness. Lactose or something else non-fermentable might do it. Alternatively you could put it in a really cold fridge (33 F) before the yeasts eat all the sugar (I do this for ciders, for the girls). Of course its kinda labor-intensive and if the fridge goes out, I guess I'll get bottle bombs.

It might also be a good idea to look up a yeast that is supposed to impart some of the flavors you're looking for. I have no idea what that would be.

Subscribed! If this turns out I'll be making a batch because I could get my wife to drink something I make. I may hear something besides ewww, it tastes like beer:D

Latest posts

Back