Getting started w/ kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I want to take the plunge and start kegging my beer.
Right now I have a spare fridge that I can put my kegs in with picnic taps, but eventually I want to make a kegerator with a two tap tower.
Is this a good beginner kit to get for the price?

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=273

After I purchase something like this, all I need is a fridge and tower, correct?

I'm new to kegging also, the only question I would have with that setup is that it is only a 20oz CO2 canister. Not sure how many kegs you will get off that size tank. I just ordered a similar system from Midwestsupplies.com with a 5# tank (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=8081) The other thing I did was upgrade the regulator to a dual so that I could have different pressures on each keg. That added another $34.95 for a grand total of about $263 with shipping.

I went with Midwest because their pricing was similar and shipping was about $20 cheaper than Kegconnection...At least to Vermont they were.

Good Luck!! :mug:

+1 on going with a bigger co2 tank. I now have a 5# and a 20# with 15 kegs. I like the dual guage regulators also, rather than the single. Shows pressure in tank + pressure going through line out. I would like to suggest a vendor member here: http://www.kegglebrewing.com/Single-Tap-Home-Brew-System_p_7.html . Terry has good prices, service is top notch and quality of products is great.

+1 on going with a bigger co2 tank. I now have a 5# and a 20# with 15 kegs. I like the dual guage regulators also, rather than the single. Shows pressure in tank + pressure going through line out. I would like to suggest a vendor member here: http://www.kegglebrewing.com/Single-Tap-Home-Brew-System_p_7.html . Terry has good prices, service is top notch and quality of products is great.

+1 for everything in the post.
-bigger CO2 tank 5# or 20# (perhaps found on craigslist)
-dual gauge regulator
-kegglebrewing.com

The 7739 comes with a dual regulator so you can adjust the pressure on each keg separately. The 7742 you have to set both kegs to the same pressure.

Keep this in mind as well when looking at tank sizes. Do you plan to force carb or prime your kegs? I know that I have force carbed several kegs, but now I am trying the natural route to save on gas. If I had a bigger tank, I might consider FC more often.
-Me

The 7739 comes with a dual regulator so you can adjust the pressure on each keg separately. The 7742 you have to set both kegs to the same pressure.

I think this is the one I will go with.
Now I just need to find a great deal on a Two Tap Tower!

I think this is the one I will go with.
Now I just need to find a great deal on a Two Tap Tower!

Look on Ebay - I found my 3 tap tower there at a good price. Keep in mind that chances are you will want to replace the faucets with Perlicks. ;)
-Me

I'm just gonna weigh in here, senior members please feel free to smack me down if I'm silly: though it seems a majority of newbie keg'ers go with some fridge + tower setup, I think it's better to go with a chest freezer + collar + taps setup. For the following reasons:

1) Issues with foamy beer due to uninsulated towers; insulating towers or adding glycol lines+pumps seems way too much work. Though I've never done it, I'm guessing that disassembling tower lines for cleaning is a lot of work.

2) When you buy a tower it usually has taps that you don't want. A lot of people talk about replacing the included taps with Perlicks, or some other (forward sealing) tap that requires less maintenance. It's a waste of money to buy the inferior quality taps in the first place.

3) The smallest chest freezer (~5 cu. ft.) probably has more space & options than the standard compact refrigerator/freezer (Sanyo, etc.)

4) When you add a collar and a external temp controller to a chest freezer you can do it in a way that does not permanently alter the freezer. No guessing about where to drill holes. No anguish of hitting a line and hearing "pfffffff" which means you have to find a way to get that fridge to the dumps. Instead, you add your collar, all lines go through it, any regulators or CO2 distribution blocks are attached to it--no worries!

I'm a newbie keg'er too. My Frigidaire 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezer arrived yesterday. It was $225 total price delivered (this in California where the sales tax is 9.75%!) I feel like I have all the options in the world open to me as far as how many corneys I want to put in, if I want space for a carboy, putting the regulator inside or keeping it outside (for much faster gauge readings).

My wife will let me have a kegerator in the kitchen, not a keezer. If I get a keezer, I have to keep it in the basement and thats too far to walk and too many stairs to walk up and down, to keep filling up my glass!

I'm just gonna weigh in here, senior members please feel free to smack me down if I'm silly: though it seems a majority of newbie keg'ers go with some fridge + tower setup, I think it's better to go with a chest freezer + collar + taps setup. For the following reasons:

1) Issues with foamy beer due to uninsulated towers; insulating towers or adding glycol lines+pumps seems way too much work. Though I've never done it, I'm guessing that disassembling tower lines for cleaning is a lot of work.

2) When you buy a tower it usually has taps that you don't want. A lot of people talk about replacing the included taps with Perlicks, or some other (forward sealing) tap that requires less maintenance. It's a waste of money to buy the inferior quality taps in the first place.

3) The smallest chest freezer (~5 cu. ft.) probably has more space & options than the standard compact refrigerator/freezer (Sanyo, etc.)

4) When you add a collar and a external temp controller to a chest freezer you can do it in a way that does not permanently alter the freezer. No guessing about where to drill holes. No anguish of hitting a line and hearing "pfffffff" which means you have to find a way to get that fridge to the dumps. Instead, you add your collar, all lines go through it, any regulators or CO2 distribution blocks are attached to it--no worries!

I'm a newbie keg'er too. My Frigidaire 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezer arrived yesterday. It was $225 total price delivered (this in California where the sales tax is 9.75%!) I feel like I have all the options in the world open to me as far as how many corneys I want to put in, if I want space for a carboy, putting the regulator inside or keeping it outside (for much faster gauge readings).

I would agree with you here IF you are a big DIYer. Sure its not 'difficult' but getting alot of stuff prefabed and making an adjustment or 2 is a little bit easier. If I wasnt in such a hurry to have it done with the least amount of work and steps, I think I would have definitely gone the keezer route myself. Now that I have my kegerator the way I like it, I have no reason to change :) Unless I decide that 3 beers on tap isnt enough :p
-Me

Back