Burnt Bottom of brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
It wasn't massive, but it did have some charing. I should take a pic and post it. Is the beer ruined?

I doubt the beer is ruined. What style was it?

The burning with caramelize some of the sugars and you will probably have a beer that is a little sweeter, with a dark sugar/fruit flavor

I doubt the beer is ruined. What style was it?

The burning with caramelize some of the sugars and you will probably have a beer that is a little sweeter, with a dark sugar/fruit flavor

marzen oktoberfest with whitelabs european ale yeast (not lagered)

If the wort has a scorched taste, I don't think it'll improve. But if the wort tastes ok, the beer will taste ok.

Here is the funny thing, I use an auto siphon the first few oz's go into a pot then I let it go into the carboy. When I got near then end of the brew pot smelled something burnt so I stopped siphon tasted what was coming out at that point and it did taste burnt...but the initial few oz'z in the pot tasted fine. Since the brew pot was almost empty I discarded what was left. So I guess it will be a wait and see. But you are saying that if it does taste burnt in the end just dump it it will never get any better...

Depending on how scorched it actually got it probably won't get any better. This being said though in one of the first batches I brewed I had a few too many and scorched a honey wheat. It tasted pretty horrid when moving it to the keg, but after chilled carbed and conditioned it wasn't half bad. I wouldn't pitch it doesn't make you vomit after primary and you can spare the keg/bottles.

+1 on not pitching. If it doesnt taste burnt or horrible, it should age fine. It may have a sweeter taste than you wanted from teh sugar caramelizing, but still she be a fine brew

Never dump a brew! Who knows- you never know what time will do to your beer. Some of my best beers have been "bad batches" left alone and forgotten for 6 months or a year!

I brewed a batch last December that was one of my first attempts at doing my own recipe... I thought it was horrible in February.... better in May..... drinkable in July..... and downright decent now in September. I'll probably save one or two for December.

My second batch was a partial mash, with DME, it scorched on the bottom of my aluminum kettle.. I never tasted it in my brew. I sure learned to turn of the heat when adding extracts, and i guess honey too.
It wasn't a really bad burn i guess, but bad enough that now after 10+ brews it is still visible some on the bottom, about 4-5 inches diameter.

I'd give it a try and see what it tastes like after 6-8 weeks. You can always dump it then, or after an even longer aging.

Never dump a brew! Who knows- you never know what time will do to your beer. Some of my best beers have been "bad batches" left alone and forgotten for 6 months or a year!

I must repeat the sentiments. NEVER DUMP If anything, bottle it and forget it for a month or so. Either way it is beer and is better than water or juice. (Or miller)

I had some scorching during a decoction mash a few weeks ago (making my roggenbier)...it was either that or burn the chicken (which probably would have been a better choice.) It had a slight smokey flavor, but didn't seem to affect the whole brew. It wasn't unpleasant, anyway...I'll just pretend it was intentional :cross:

I used to always have a little scorching on DME when I first started brewing. I never noticed any burnt taste in those beers. I thought it was unavoidable at the time :D

Back