Fluctuating temperature and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkylerChaBro

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

As a result of high temperatures over the last few days here in Michigan, I have been putting more effort into controlling the temperature of my most recent batch.

My problem is once I got the temperature of the carboy to drop, the yeast slowed down dramatically, and the krausen dissipated all together. Now the activity is still noticeable so I'm not worried about a stuck fermentation or anything of the sort. However, I am curious as to why exactly the fermentation slowed so much and if there are any repercussions to dropping temperature relatively rapidly.

Here is the breakdown:

-Temperature of the carboy reaches 74
-I Placed carboy in tub filled with 2 inches of sanitized water
-Took a towel to wick up water from tub
-Turned a fan on low to evaporate the water on the towel
-Temperature dropped to 67 in 8 hours

Is there anything I should be aware of? I'm probably just used to seeing a nice healthy krausen bubbling about.

The batch was made 3 days ago with a gravity of 1.045
The yeast is Denny's Favorite 50 1450.

it was over 70 for about 12 hours I would think. Maybe a little less.

Bumping the post. Fermentation still seems kind of slow, although still moving along. This is the first batch that doesn't have a strong krausen and the first that has slowed so quickly.

That would only be if I know for a fact the fermentation stopped early, and s-05 is the last contingency plan at that.

Back