Buffalo NY group buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think shipping is the issue. The farther away you are from a barley field, the more you're going to pay. Grain is heavy, so I guess it makes sense. I know in the group buys I've been in, the shipping generally adds about $7-$8 per sack to the cost.

The largest barley growing area is North Dakota followed by Iowa. The Maltsters are all over the place but north central to northwest with Briess and Rahr in WI and MN respectively. I don't know it is what it is I guess...

I did call Kegworks to inquire if they were going to do a group buy a couple of times a year because I don't know if I will be able to hit this one or not and was told that this was a "one try" offering to see how it goes. I said having bulk sales like this pre-brew season was a good idea. A good showing might solidify more bulk buys. I hope I can get a sack or two.

The largest barley growing area is North Dakota followed by Iowa. The Maltsters are all over the place but north central to northwest with Briess and Rahr in WI and MN respectively. I don't know it is what it is I guess...

I did call Kegworks to inquire if they were going to do a group buy a couple of times a year because I don't know if I will be able to hit this one or not and was told that this was a "one try" offering to see how it goes. I said having bulk sales like this pre-brew season was a good idea. A good showing might solidify more bulk buys. I hope I can get a sack or two.

A local homebrew club actually posted it, thats how I found it. They seem fairly active and if they are supporting it, I have a feeling it may go well.

Thanks for posting. With this going on it may be tough to get enough volume for a group buy with Dunkirk. I'd still like to see that happen. The prices he offered for 2-row are pretty good. I'll open the group buy as soon as he posts prices, but I'm not sure what type of response I'll get.

I'd really like to see a regular group buy taking place in Buffalo at least 3x per year. I brew with several people and we go through grain like crazy.

I did manage to get some price lists from other group buys outside the area. Overall, the prices they are asking (with shipping) are pretty close to what Dunkirk and KegWorks are posting. We're paying maybe $3-$4 more per sack. That's not too bad.

Yeah sounds good man. I still don't have anyone to brew with, so I kind of have been taking it slow but I have the gear to go all-grain now. I'd like to do the bulk thing, and to be honest... I'm not a huge fan of how kegworks moved in right next to niagara tradition with lower prices. I know I can get stuff at kegworks cheaper but still go one block over to support the guys that got me into it.

Me too. Burt is awesome!

I'd rather support the smaller local guys as well. Especially for a few bucks difference in price.

Get yourself a few food grade buckets from Lowes with gamma lids and you can store your grain for a year without any problems.

NT was there first in the early 90's and KW was 98. But KegWorks was set back off Military (still there with the warehouse) then added the store front on Military.

I guess it really is splitting hairs when you figure price per lb and then take it further to price per pint! I'm just putting an order together for MB to make a IIPA and a cream ale (testing for a summer all day beer)

Burt kills me. He is great. I go in with a simple question, he talks my ear off for half hour and I come out with more questions lol. Love seeing the lady there though, she always gives me a hops candy when I leave. Feel like a kid in a candy store.

Burt kills me. He is great. I go in with a simple question, he talks my ear off for half hour and I come out with more questions lol. Love seeing the lady there though, she always gives me a hops candy when I leave. Feel like a kid in a candy store.

WTF - I've never gotten candy!

I've probably paid for half a year's rent on the place too. :D

never got candy either but have spent at least 45 minutes gabbing (always cognisant of customer count!) and got a lot of take away knowledge especially in the early in my brewing.

I never get candy either. Kids always bring quarters and buy gum when we go there. I'll usually be there for a while talking with them too and have definitely gotten some good info.

I need to take a trip there today or tomorrow to get some more stuff.

Same here. I started making cider since my wife helps me with my beer, but all she drinks is cider. So now she goes there with me and ends up buying more stuff than I do, its amazing.

I need to go pick up some flip-tops for her cider today or tomorrow, another carboy, a bigger kettle... some grains, maybe a burner .. lol.

Well, either way (keg works or Dunkirk) keep us posted. If the prices are close, I'd defer to Dunkirk because he's been generous in offering this up before. Plus he probably has more variety as KW is probably using the local malter. Plus I suspect he may be able to give us a pretty good deal on Avangard pils as it runs a bit cheaper than other brands.

I got the email from Keg works too... 45 bucks for a sack of grain is a good price but there is another member here that does local group buys for under $40 a sack... I bought my kegerator from hi. On craigslist and he was in the process of opening a nano brewery downtown...wish I could remember his name...

I got the email from Keg works too... 45 bucks for a sack of grain is a good price but there is another member here that does local group buys for under $40 a sack... I bought my kegerator from hi. On craigslist and he was in the process of opening a nano brewery downtown...wish I could remember his name...

That's jdomres. He used to run a grain buy a few years back.

OK, homebrewers, please check this pages for grains:

http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com/BuffaloBulkBuyGrains/tabid/666/Default.aspx

As explained on the page, the link is not published anywhere but here, and the prices are only valid for a bulk buy from Buffalo.

There is a minimum of 10 50/55 lb bags required for a group buy at these prices. This makes a group buy lots easier to put together than a 40-bag pallet.

Additionally, there are 10 lb bags available in many grains, as well as a large variety of grains available in general - more than a typical bulk buy.

Please take a look at the grains and we can move forward if there is interest.

OK, homebrewers, please check this pages for grains:

http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com/BuffaloBulkBuyGrains/tabid/666/Default.aspx

As explained on the page, the link is not published anywhere but here, and the prices are only valid for a bulk buy from Buffalo.

There is a minimum of 10 50/55 lb bags required for a group buy at these prices. This makes a group buy lots easier to put together than a 40-bag pallet.

Additionally, there are 10 lb bags available in many grains, as well as a large variety of grains available in general - more than a typical bulk buy.

Please take a look at the grains and we can move forward if there is interest.

Wow - nice selection. Thanks. I'm going to formalize a group buy. As I said I'm happy to do the pickup and handle the ordering to make things easier. I'd really like to see a regular group buy in Buffalo.

I'll put together a process and post it ASAP.

Wow - nice selection. Thanks. I'm going to formalize a group buy. As I said I'm happy to do the pickup and handle the ordering to make things easier. I'd really like to see a regular group buy in Buffalo.

I'll put together a process and post it ASAP.

Thanks, b-boy. Let me know if you have any questions or how I can help.

If there remains a sustained interest and we can feasibly formalize a bulk purchase every two months or so, I will build an ordering system on the website to manage the ordering. For now, happy to let you handle the formalities until we see if this is something that you all find desirable on an on-going basis.

I figured I'd throw this out to local people.

I have 2 extra General Admission tickets for DLD on April 25th. GA doesn't include a ticket to buy Dark Lord. They are $30 each. We had some people slated to go who can't make the trip.

One has my name on it, another has a friends. We're heading out Friday, April 24th and returning Sunday April 26th. If you're looking for a ride down and back you can ride with us. I have a hotel reservation near the brewery as well, so if you want to use that you can. Otherwise I will cancel it.

Anyone interested PM me.

We're on our second round now. It's going OK. We've hooked up with a LHBS in Dunkirk, NY. He's given us some really good prices for bulk purchases. We're doing 15-20 sacks at a time every few months.

Get ready for some new varieties! Apollo, Nugget, Zeus, Target and Citra will be headed to Tonawanda on Monday, should be there by Wed. Hop On~

I figured this was a decent shot to see if anyone was interested in hops to make a wet hopped harvest ale. I just made a Harvest Ale IPA yesterday and only have plans to make an Harvest Ale (Old Ale) which is lightly hopped (less than a pound) There will be at least enough hops left to do another beer or two which I'm not going to use. I have the 4 C's growing and will have probably a pound of each left. If anyone is interested it would have to be done real soon as they are harvestable now (brew weekend coming?) This is the first year I'm making a wet hopped beer so I don't have much info on outcomes!!! What I did to plug into beersmith was... Go to Hopunion take the high and low of the Alpha and average it, divide by 6 (moisture content to pellet) and create a Fresh Chinook hop in beersmith. The alpha was 2.17% and beta .58%. I worked these numbers into an IPA.

Cascade, Columbus and Chinook are harvestable now and Centennial will be by the weekend. I'm really not into the drying and freezing this year, actually I won't do it again, if the beers come out that is. Use them or mulch them is the new motto!

Chuck

Nice offer. I'm hesitant about wet hopping, just because I've never done it before and I worry about vegetal flavors. Let us know how it turns out!

On a side note, I'm about through my base grain stock. Anyone up for another order?

Will do Tagz! I hear the vegetal flavors though slight dissipate over time as do most off flavors. So far. During the boil and wort transfer it smelled really good. And best so far this really super IPA is costing just $20 in ingredients!

If all goes well I'm doing a harvest to boil with my nugget plant this weekend.
I had to throw out almost an entire freezer of hops from last years harvest, couldn't use it fast enough.

I would definitely be interested in a group buy now that things have calmed down on my end and I can brew more.

I hear ya!!! I spent a lot of time last year harvesting, drying (10 rack drying unit), bagging and freezing. That effort will all be thrown out. That's why this year I decided to make harvest ales. I just did an IPA and tomorrow I'll be doing a Harvest Ale 'Old Ale'. I just inoculated the starter so I'm committed! I may do another Blond Ale using only the Centennial on this one and then the hops will be finished. If the Harvest Beers fail then it will be time to think about the hop yard....... useful or just fancy? Ditch or not?

Back