Maple Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to attempt a maple stout. I'm just wondering if there is a point at which you can reach "too much" maple syrup in the recipe. I plan to add a half gallon of maple syrup to the wort, and wonder if that will give me enough or too much maple flavor. Also, I'd like to use maple syrup to charge the bottling. I have seen recommendations from 1 to 2 cups for that purpose. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions in either regard? I'm a newbie, so any and all details are appreciated. Thanks!

Pat

One technique to consider is to add the syrup to the wort at "high krausen". That is how I add Candi sugar to my Belgian ales. In theory, the yeast will be less stressed than if you add all that sugar before you pitch. As to the quantity of syrup, I'm sorry but I have no experience with that.

Hey

ive experimented a little with maple and here is what ive found

when i used maple in the primary and secondary i got a woody flavour, however when i primed with it i got a more pronounced maple flavour

I used Maple syrup made my GF grandpa so um, i cant give you a standard as to quality or etc but the stuff was thick as hell, i had to completely de-gass it and then primed and it was super carbed, lol was a strange stout:p but very maple

Hope it helps
:mug:

:mug:

I am going to try both, priming with the maple (thanks for the great link dcp!) and adding some maple syrup at high krausen. Will that change the amount of time for fermentation, or the amount of yeast needed? And I presume I will need to be very careful sanitation-wise when introducing the syrup during fermentation. Any suggestions for that process?

Thanks again...

Pat

The downside to priming with maple syrup is the sugar content is unknown. The ingredient label is merely an average. Like another poster I primed my first brew with maple syrup according to recipe and ended up with stout soda because it's so bubbly. There are some off flavors that I attribute to the syrup, but in all honesty it could have been a number of things considering it was my first attempt and it was all grain.

I am going to attempt a maple stout. I'm just wondering if there is a point at which you can reach "too much" maple syrup in the recipe. I plan to add a half gallon of maple syrup to the wort, and wonder if that will give me enough or too much maple flavor. Also, I'd like to use maple syrup to charge the bottling. I have seen recommendations from 1 to 2 cups for that purpose. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions in either regard? I'm a newbie, so any and all details are appreciated. Thanks!

Pat

Well you know one good trick to use is to tap maple trees and use the sap that runs out for brew water instead of maple syrup.

Just remember it has to be freezing at night and just above freezing during the day and the sap will be read to run.

Back