coming back to brewing after 17 yrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fratermus

Reaction score
I started brewing in the 80s when I was stationed in the former West Germany. Mailordered all my gear from the US, thanks to the small number of sellers that would deliver to APO.

Worked from extract for the few years. By the time I rotated back to the US and exited the army I had found an ancient grain mill at a flea market for $10 so started AG brewing, including with wheat. Weizen was my favorite style, but wasn't very common in the US if I remember correctly. Luckily I shipped back 4 or 5 racks of those lovely .5L bottles... Used to buy malt in 50# boxes from Stew's Brews somewhere in the midwest. He still around? Very pleasant fellow.

My recipe spreadsheets were in VisiCalc on an Apple ][e, if that helps set the mood... labels printed on a 9pin dot matrix. But I was getting to do some fun stuff; priming with kraeusen, breaking up and farming liquid yeast since it was relatively expensive at the time. I had read a letter about hop growing in Zymurgy by a fellow in Oregon (I think). Wrote him to ask a question about technique and he fedexed me a chunk of rhizome! It didn't like East Texas that much, but it did grow up the string trellis I made for it. I don't think it yielded any flowers by the time I left.

Life intervened; I moved, and lived in tiny apartments with no real room to brew in. I threatened that when I finally got my own house I would start to brew again. My well-thumbed Papazian JOHB sat on the bookshelf taunting me.

Flash forward: the Dear Wife and I bought a house in November; lots of room, a garage and a workshop. Woo-hoo! I started dragging out my old gear. Some was ok, some was broken, some lost, some given away. I mailordered replacements and an outdoor 7.5gal turkey frier propane rig to handle the boil. I only have electric stovetop (although the house is plumbed for gas) and it used to take FOREVER to get a boil going. I trust the frier will alleviate that somewhat. :) Brown trucks are rolling across America to my humble abode. Come to papa....

And as some kind of sign from the heavens, I have since learned there is a homebrew shop that is about 2 miles from the house. Gonna stop by and pick up some extracts, hops, and some modern sterilants for my first batch; I see that bleach isn't as popular now as it once was. I did love AG, but it's been 15 yrs and I think I need to ease back into it with extracts until I get some of the old muscle memory back. I'll also wait for the credit card to cool off a bit before buying another mill.

Thanks for reading this post. I've been surveying the forums here and seem to find a lot of kindred spirits. Good folks, I can already tell.

fratermus said:
I started brewing in the 80s when I was stationed in the former West Germany. Mailordered all my gear from the US, thanks to the small number of sellers that would deliver to APO.

Worked from extract for the few years. By the time I rotated back to the US and exited the army I had found an ancient grain mill at a flea market for $10 so started AG brewing, including with wheat. Weizen was my favorite style, but wasn't very common in the US if I remember correctly. Luckily I shipped back 4 or 5 racks of those lovely .5L bottles... Used to buy malt in 50# boxes from Stew's Brews somewhere in the midwest. He still around? Very pleasant fellow.

My recipe spreadsheets were in VisiCalc on an Apple ][e, if that helps set the mood... labels printed on a 9pin dot matrix. But I was getting to do some fun stuff; priming with kraeusen, breaking up and farming liquid yeast since it was relatively expensive at the time. I had read a letter about hop growing in Zymurgy by a fellow in Oregon (I think). Wrote him to ask a question about technique and he fedexed me a chunk of rhizome! It didn't like East Texas that much, but it did grow up the string trellis I made for it. I don't think it yielded any flowers by the time I left.

Life intervened; I moved, and lived in tiny apartments with no real room to brew in. I threatened that when I finally got my own house I would start to brew again. My well-thumbed Papazian JOHB sat on the bookshelf taunting me.

Flash forward: the Dear Wife and I bought a house in November; lots of room, a garage and a workshop. Woo-hoo! I started dragging out my old gear. Some was ok, some was broken, some lost, some given away. I mailordered replacements and an outdoor 7.5gal turkey frier propane rig to handle the boil. I only have electric stovetop (although the house is plumbed for gas) and it used to take FOREVER to get a boil going. I trust the frier will alleviate that somewhat. :) Brown trucks are rolling across America to my humble abode. Come to papa....

And as some kind of sign from the heavens, I have since learned there is a homebrew shop that is about 2 miles from the house. Gonna stop by and pick up some extracts, hops, and some modern sterilants for my first batch; I see that bleach isn't as popular now as it once was. I did love AG, but it's been 15 yrs and I think I need to ease back into it with extracts until I get some of the old muscle memory back. I'll also wait for the credit card to cool off a bit before buying another mill.

Thanks for reading this post. I've been surveying the forums here and seem to find a lot of kindred spirits. Good folks, I can already tell.

Welcome Home

It will not take you long to catch up. It will be interesting to hear you talk about changes to the craft. I believe both the equipment as well as the ingredients have expanded and allow the home brewer many more options. So I have been told from people that have been doing this for a decade or two.

Welcome back. Brew on!

fratermus said:

Welcome back to brewing. I took a 7 1/2 year break but am back full throtle! I have a 2 keg all grain system but chose to start back doing partial mashes. I mash about 7 to 7 1/2 lbs of grain which means I usually only need about 2 1/2 to 4 lbs of DME. You don't need near as much equipment and can brew in the house on the stove. You'll need a 5 gal pot for boiling on the stove. I'm sure you see that you can get all kind of liquid yeast strains now. An easy 1st brew to ease in with would be an all DME german hefe-weiss. Use 6 lbs of Wheat DME and a german wheat activator pouch and you can have a hefe ready to drink in no time.

Great story...Thanks for sharing, and welcome to HBT!

I'm sure you've seen that some stuff is the same, and some things have changed in the last few years...It would be interesting to have more of your reflections as you get back into the hobby!

I've also started brewing again after a long break. I only did about 5 batches in my first go-round, and mostly followed easy recipes, maybe substituting one type of DME for another, but always starting with LME. I tried using hop flowers over pellets just once, and tried also to grow my own hops with no success.

The changes I see now haven't been all that dramatic. Back then bleach was used as a cheap and easy sanitizer, now Star-San and some others seem to be popular and bleach seems to be frowned upon. I still used it. The other change seems to be in the recipe kits. As far as I can tell, these Brewers Best kits are available from multiple retailers, both online and in the stores, with vacuum sealed hops, canned LME, packages of DME etc... You don't have to measure as it is all pre-measured. When I did this before, the kits were made up at the store, usually just pulling the ingredients off the shelves. Other than that, I didn't see much difference. Beer has been brewed for a long, long time so I doubt there's much new.

And one other thing, when I decided to do it again I bought all new equipment even though I still had the old. It was all stored in my musty basement. The only thing I salvaged was the bottle washer.

My first batch is ready to drink at this point and it is pretty good. Not great. I'm going to have to try again. Darn. ;)

Wow, that was a cool historical read. Thanks for sharing. Seventeen years! Talk about a break in the action! I'd be interested in hearing your take on the changes b/w then and now.

I did my first two bacthes with a buddy in 1978 and didn't get interested again until right about the time you were into your fourth year. I didn't get back into it in full until 1997. I've been brewing ever since, so the changes have been gradual for me. For you, I'm thinking it'll be different.

Probably the two biggest changes are the almost universal fully-modified malt and the huge expansion in ingredient availability, including yeasts.

david_42 said:
Probably the two biggest changes are the almost universal fully-modified malt and the huge expansion in ingredient availability, including yeasts.
And...HBT... :D

Welcome back to the passion. We expect you to make up for lost time.

So far the differences are these

* information availability: the net, forums, newsgroups, podcasts. Holy crap. When I wanted to write that fellow in Portland with the hop-growing experience I went to a govt depository and looked up his address info on microfilm. Microfilm! How long has it been since you've held a piece of microfilm or run a microfiche?

* pitchable yeast capsules. I don't think those were around.

* the nicer sterilants like starsan, etc. Perhaps they were around, but not well known in the HB circles.

* incredibly easy to find someone to order arcane ingrediants from. Web purchasing with a CC is a snap.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for all your kind responses.

Welcome back! You won't believe the quality of ingredients these days, compared to when you began your hiatus, although you also made it back just in time for the hop shortage. Of course, that won't seem much different from the old days, except that the hops you do find should be better quality. Have fun!

TL

Ha! I ran across a pic of some of my original brewing setup, circa 1986-7. It was taken in my offpost apartment in Heubach, right up the road from the Hardt Kaserne in Schwaebish Gmuend where I was stationed.

1987brewing.jpg

I am pretty sure that my first batch (brown ale) was in the .5L and champagne bottles there, and my second batch (weizen) was in the bucket.

And...HBT... :D

Welcome back to the passion. We expect you to make up for lost time.

+1 This resource is HUGE compared to what we had 17 years ago.

Danstar and Fermentis Dry yeasts rock and going All grain is very simple as the mystique is gone thanks to pics and folks doing videos.

Welcome back.

BTW, to get you kick started, make some German Apfelwein! :mug:

Another then-and-now difference: software!

I've been playing around with the trial versions of Beersmith and ProMash for a couple weeks... good stuff.

And I thought my 15-year hiatus was long...
I am blown away by the variety of ingredients available now... All I could get "back in the day" was Red Star or, if I was lucky, Edme yeast. Welcome back!

Back