Forgot the belgian candi sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
Forgot to add the candi sugar to the boil, actually, didn't even buy it... Woops..

At any rate, I've been reading that it's not a big deal. I can just boil some, let it cool, then add it to the fermenter as long as i do it in a timely manner.

My question is whether to just boil some plain jane table sugar to a slury, let it cool and add that,

Or if I should invert the sugar and make my own belgian candi sugar.

Or there's the option of going out and buying at the LHBS.

You can do any of those, but I'd recommend doing the invert sugar

Some even prefer adding the sugar as initial fermentation slows. Make the yeast eat the more complex maltose sugars first, then give them the easy stuff. If you give them the easy stuff right away, they may not touch the maltose as much as desired. Really only matters if the sugar is a large portion of fermantables though.

Some even prefer adding the sugar as initial fermentation slows. Make the yeast eat the more complex maltose sugars first, then give them the easy stuff. If you give them the easy stuff right away, they may not touch the maltose as much as desired. Really only matters if the sugar is a large portion of fermantables though.

yes, I read that as well. This is my friends brew, and we rushed through things due to time contstaints (never a fan of rushing), I told him our mistake might not have been that bad in the long run since we caught it. I need 8 oz.. which is about 4% of the fermentables.

If its only 8oz just go with cane sugar. I don't think it would be noticeable at the percentage

If its only 8oz just go with cane sugar. I don't think it would be noticeable at the percentage

Agreed - 8oz is nothing. In my head I was thinking 10-20% of fermentables, that would make a difference.

okay, thanks guys. Should i still invert it or just boil it and add once cooled?

Just boil some came sugar, cool it, and pour it in your fermenter.

what kidna candi sugar are we talking about? you'll notice a diff between 8oz of cane sugar and 8oz of D2

8 oz Belgian Candy Sugar Dark is what the receipe called for. Nothing more was specified about it.

Candy sugar isn't the syrup. Candy sugar gives almost no flavor that I can tell, but the syrup give a ton of flavor.

It sounds like it call for the rocks, so just use cane sugar since its only 8oz.

Alright, thanks for the input. I'll add this in tomorrow. which will be two days after the yeast was pitched. Hopefully this will give best utilzation.

Candy sugar gives almost no flavor that I can tell, but the syrup give a ton of flavor.

agreed, the rocks are junk. if this is a dubbel or quad tho, i'd be making/buying dark candi syrup and not just using cane sugar

dcp27 said:
agreed, the rocks are junk. if this is a dubbel or quad tho, i'd be making dark candi syrup and not just using cane sugar

+1
I used the d2 syrup a couple days ago in my BDS. The flavor that stuff contributes is amazing. I haven't tried making it yet, but I plan on it.

Back