some wierd things happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
ok, i did two batches (well one, just split it in half and did it at different times)

ok so first batch i tasted right before bottling, tasted very good. then bottled it. two weeks later (i put too much sugar so i cut time down, and was very carbonated) i tasted one after i put it in the fridge, and one right out of my garage. the garage one tasted good, the cold one had a bitter aftertaste kind of. so i put the opened warm one in the fridge, same thing. does cold add bitterness and aftertaste?

also, the second batch i bottled today, and it smelled wierd. all my other batches smelled like beer, this smell almsot burned the nose. it smelled like very strong alcohol. or maybe even a hint of vinegar. also, my airlock got knocked out one night, and an ant got into it. i fished him out obviously. this brew didnt taste that bad, but not that good. and on both of these, i broke my hyrdometer so i dont have a first reading, but the smelly brew had a FG of 1.1

Beer that isn't ready yet will often have a harsh bitterness. Were they all left in the garage for the 2 weeks, or was the one you tried from the fridge in there the whole time? The cold shouldn't add bitterness, but it does slow down the conditioning process, so that could explain why if you left one to condition at colder temps it might still be a bit green.

And I wouldn't be too concerned about just the smell. Did you taste it or just smell it? I've noticed smells change a lot over time and do not indicate what the final product will be like. The burning may also have just been taking in nearly pure CO2. If you've ever cracked open a freshly fermented bucket and taken in a deep breath the pure CO2 will really burn and about knock you on your ass.

I have had the very strong smell with my beer before bottling, and it still turned out great. I just let it condition in the bottles for 3 weeks, cracked open the first one and noticed no off smells or flavors

What type of beer is it and how cold is it? I was a "colder is better" person until I picked up some Moose Drool for the first time. It was cool, but not cold when I got it home, and tasted amazing, very malty. The next one I went for had sat in the fridge a while and was now cold, and it seemed to lack the flavor of the first. I let it set out for a bit, and then the malty flavor really came back.

Back