Forgot to ask about this, Porter is angry!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed the Porter sunday with my brother, Got done about 11pm and had it in the closet awaiting the yeast to do their bidding. I got up the next morning to the ticking of the airlock. Temp was a steady 72*F on the thermometer on the bucket, a little warm yes. That night I got home and the fermentation rate appeared to have increased because the airlock was going crazy, 1-2 burps per second. Then I noticed the temperature had risen to 78*F!

Um, thus far in what I have read, everything is telling me this is cause for concern.

Will a LONG time in secondary clean up any fusel alcohol or other unwanted tastes?

Suggestions?

wrap that puppy in a moist towel, that should bring the temp down a few degrees.

The other trick, which I have used very successfully after reading about it on here, is the frozen two liter bottles of water that you add to a tote container filled with water. Place the fermenter in the tote with the water and forzen two liter bottle. Its how I kept my pumpkin ale temperature down during the summer!

RDWHAHB, set it in a pan of ice water and put a fan on it. Personally I would be thinking about your next brew

I put a fan on it yesterday afternoon, it brought it down to about 75*, no wet towel though. Looks like I am off to the parents house after work to go steal a rubbermaid container. Hell, maybe I'll just open a window, its raining and snowing here from what I can see out the doors.

Latest posts

Back