Bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itstara

Reaction score
We just started our first batch this past Sunday, June 1. Once we got it to the state where it was ready to sit in the plastic fermentation bucket, all was going well. The little airlock (which we filled halfway with water, according to directions) was bubbling strongly and consistently Sunday and Monday, but yesterday...not so much. I can still see little bubbles in the airlock, but they're not actively moving.

Is this a problem? Our instructions say that the beer is ready to siphon to the carboy when the bubbles stop, about 3-7 days. Help!

Everyone here will tell you that the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation. I think the general rule is to wait at least 7 days (many wait longer) before checking for the FG. You do have a hydrometer, right? Thats the best way to judge whether or not a beer is done fermenting. If you don't have one then your best bet is to just wait longer than you think before you syphon the beer.

Relax.

It is not uncommon for fermentation to finish up in a few days. Regardless of kit instructions, I highly recommend waiting a minimum of one week before transferring to the carboy for secondary.

Believe it or not, you could just leave it all in the bucket for up to 4 weeks and skip the secondary all together, but seeing as how you are just starting I'd follow the directions with your kit, with the exception of leaving it in primary longer.

Good Luck.

I've noticed many kits instruct people to put water in the airlock.

I believe a better alternative to water is cheap vodka or star san.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the reply. Yes, we do have a hydrometer, so I'll use that this coming Sunday and not worry about the bubbles in the meantime.

I am a new brewer myself (currently fermenting my third batch) and was very anxious to get my first batch in my belly.

Because of the great community on this site, I have already learned that longer is better. Keep that beer in primary for at least two weeks and you can not go wrong.

Cheers

I concur with DJ as well. My last two batches went crazy after 24 hrs and did so for about 48 hours. After that, just a slight bubbling and dead after 72 hrs. Just because of time issues I just leave it in primary for 3 weeks before bottling - I rack to a bottling bucket to bottle though.

The longer you leave it in primary the clearer, crisper and cleaner tasting it will be. After fermentation the yeasties will clean up after themselves. If you leave it 3-4 weeks you can skip primary, and go right to bottling...

Just remember, for bottle conditioning/carbing, 3 weeks @ 70 degrees.

Bubble bubble, toil and trouble... leave that beer alone, on the double!!

+1 to most of the other threads here. Don't worry, leave it in the fermenter at LEAST 2 weeks (or at least 1 week after fermentation stops..) and then bottle it (if you don't do secondary fermentation).

Cheers,
Awfers

Back