Assembled my control panel - element always on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHP

Reaction score
I assembled my Control Panel per P-J's diagram: http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30a-e-stop.jpg

When I turn on the CP and select the correct element, it just goes full boar. Regardless of what the settings on the PID are. I have the red hot wire controlled by the SSR. The LED on the SSR blinks when the out light on the PID blinks.

I brewed like this, but I am going to be brewing again on Sunday and I would like to have a functional control panel. Any ideas whats wrong?

I built a PJ box last year and I had the same issue, 40% throttle PID output and 100% element heating no matter what I did. I swapped in a new 40a ssr (using a 5500w element in HLT and in BK), and it works like a charm now.

Sidenote: I didnt have the first SSR properly cooled either, now I have the auber heatsink bolted on and it is cool to the touch. I am thinking now that I may have faulted the ssr early on with overheating. (it eventually melted down hence the replacement)

Back