Getting a couple pounds of fresh hops for free, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myke_J

Reaction score
I've never used fresh wet hops in a brew before, but thought that it's something I would really like to try since I love Fresh Hop Ales. I put out the call on Facebook and a freind said that her brother grows some on his property just for looks. She was heading over to his house for the holiday weekend and said she would pick a pound for me in exchange for me bringing some homebrew with us camping next weekend. So she calls me and says that he doesn't know what all the hops are, but for sure knows which ones are Centennial and Perle. I tell her to get me a pound of Centennial and if there wasn't enough to split it and get 8oz of each. She calls me back on her way home and says that there were lots of hops so she picked 1 pound of each.
So now I've got 2 lbs of fresh hops and got to decide what to do with them. :drunk:

My initial thoughts were to use them as late additions to get the most of the fresh hop character out of them. I'm thinking about doing either a really basic Pale recipe or even SMASH beer with each hop. 2 Row with the Centennial and Marris Otter with the Perle.

Any other suggestions or hints/tips before I dive into this :mug:

It takes 4 to 5 times more wet hops than dry for the same result. I agree with late additions( I grew my own this year and that is all I used them for)

Back