Firestone Keg ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseRYC

Reaction score
So i've been using nothing but cornelius type kegs since I started kegging and love them! But I recently got some free firestone kegs and have a few questions. I noticed that the poppets don't come out as easily on the firestone kegs. I applied a little bit of pressure on the top and they didn't come out. Are they supposed to come out? Do I have to apply more pressure? I was also wondering if anyone knew where to get replacement o-rings for the firestones. I did some looking on kegconnection and morebeer with no avail... Thanks for any help.

The o-rings should all be the same. Firestone made many different models of corny kegs, some with slightly tricky poppet valves. Do yours have the 3 prongs that wedge into the inside of the shaft? If so, you can try gently prying the prongs loose with a small flathead screwdriver. They can be a pain, and many people either replace them with more standard ones, or just soak the whole post assembly without removing the poppet to clean.

Ya most of them look the same except for the big o-ring on the lid. It is not fully round like the ones on the cornies. The poppets are like the ones u described except when i popped the first one out with a small flathead it fell apart in 3 pieces. These things have been a huge hassle so far but they are 20 years old and need to be refurbished. I think I just need to keep searching for new parts. Thanks for your help though!

Try www.chicompany.net for parts, they are under the ball lock keg parts menu and they list out a few different types according to manufacturer. Good customer service when I bought from them.

The round o-rings will work fine for the lids. The ones on there may have started out round before being squished for a decade or more.

The round o-rings will work fine for the lids. The ones on there may have started out round before being squished for a decade or more.

I'm guessing that OP has racetrack lids, not that the o ring has been squished so that the x section is not round anymore.

Latest posts

Back