Need help with flea market purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineexampl

Reaction score
Good evening everyone! This noob is back for some advice and info. I bought this at the Englishtown Flea Market here in Jersey. I recognize the tank, regulator, and faucet here. What else are the rest of these parts? I only paid $35 for this stuff, so i think i got a decent deal.

How does this stuff set up and what will i need to replace as far as washers, bushings, etc. Should i have the tank examind and tested? How do i do that? I need the full lowdown here. :mug:
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Looks like a sanke setup, most of that will be useless to you unless you buy kegs from retail (That doesn't mean throw it away, either save it or trade it). Basically you can use the tap and the tank/reg and not much else.

I dunno anything much about sanke's but the part attached to the gas line plugs into a sanke then the wingnut should screw onto the back of the tap. The big pole looks like a party dispenser.

The tank will show a date on the top, if that date has gone by it needs re-hydro'd (some places may take it as a trade in still, so you can trade it in and get a in-hydro tank + co2. If you want to keep that tank or they won't take it, most any welding or fire supply shop can tell you where to get a hydro). If it hasn't then it's still good to be filled.

Well worth 35$e

Yep. The tank, regulator and shank/tap are worth well more than $35 (Guessing around $100).

The tank will likely need to be re-certified, or you could just go to a gas exchange place and swap it.

Okay, so i seem to have done a decent pickup. I figured i'd use these as parts for a kegerator or something. The tank, reg, tap were all i was interested in anyway. So not too bad if i can use the rest to trade off or something.

Thanks! If anyone else has any input or how to assemble any of this, etc., post up.

I'm assuming all the hoses would need replacing?? That seems obvious, but i could be wrong.

O.K., I'm guessing here but it looks like you got 3 Sanke taps:
1) the deal with the red and brown hose. I'm guessing that the brown hose connection screws onto the faucet connection or could be made to.
2)The tall goomer (technical term). I'm not sure what the open spout on the left of it is. Is it open or plugged?
3) That silver doodad (see tech. term) to the left of the tall goomer. CO2 in the top, beer out of the side.
The silver "bar" with the o rings above the silver doodad looks like a faucet "plunger"
The big white gasket looks like it goes in the beer connection on the tap. I'll have to tell you though, that spike on the tap with the hoses connections doesn't look like anything I've used, at least not in beer brewing! Then, there are the two keg pulls. I can read the Schlitz one, what is the other one? I would have to see the rest of the stuff up close to guess. Just take the tank to a refill place, they'll let you know what you need to do. I wouldn't get rid or trade anything until I knew exactly which way I was going. But then, I'm a cheap, notorious pack rat. Yes. you did get a steal, congratulations and we all hate you. But in a good way. Luck - Dwain

The coupler that is attached to the regulator is a hoff-stevens tap. About the only thing that still uses it is root beer kegs. I suspect the brown hose was once clear hose. The tap in the middle looks like a euro sankey to me. The probe looks too long for American "D" sankeys although the angle of the picture could be messing with me. Using it on an American keg could result in a beer shower. The tall shaft is just to raise the faucet height for a direct mount faucet. The tap markers (handles) might have some collectible value. Especially the silver barrel shaped one.

Edit: The other coupler looks like it might be disassembled/non functional. Post a pick of it turned over.

Edit again: The other two (besides the Hoff-Stevens) are not sankey couplers. The sankey coupler goes inside the neck of the keg, those look like the screw onto the outside of the neck. They must be some other old keg couplers that are no longer used.

Back